Formed in 1969, CompuServe went through many corporation transitions,
involving companies and people as diverse as H&R Block, Radio Shack,
the Associated Press and Mark Cuban.

Created originally with PDP-8s and PDP-15s as front-end routers as a
means of dial-up interconnection for businesses, they started renting
off-hours access to hobbyists and stuff sort of just grew from there.

Great write-up at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuServe

I used TapCI$ to minimize dial-up time, reading and responding offline
and connecting only long enough to send and receive. 76400,2503 was
the number I used during the FoxForum heyday, but I had used, and
lost, a three-digit number in the way-back-when.

I seem to remember that dial-up access was through one of several
different networks. Some were modem banks in the back
warehouse-storage areas in Sears Roebuck stores.