Folks,

An update. I was thinking about releasing yesterday but to make a long
story short, some of what I've done needs a rethink. Otherwise I'm
releasing something you're not going to like...

Let me explain.

I did get through all the properties and methods and everything on my todo
list. While tracking down a random issue that turned out to be a misnamed
property, it hit me that I hadn't done much testing against large data.

More background...

The goal of this is to have a Visual Foxpro object mimic the related
Chilkat object. For instance, the Chilkat EMail object has a FromName
property. The related VFP object, apply named Email has a FromName object.
Beneath the sheets, when you reference the VFP Email FromName property, it
goes out to retrieve the Chilkat Email FromName property. Pretty
straightforward.

I was fortunate enough to actually deal with a Chilkat character property
that is 260 characters in length. When I referenced it, VFP blew up. And it
turns out it's a hard coded limitation *if you define it on the property
sheet*. See AddProperty Method in the help file. I've tried to trick VFP
into making something larger but it doesn't work.

But the Comment and Tag properties of VFP objects can be as large as you
like (within reason), but these are predefined. The AddProperty() function
also doesn't have that limitation. Yes, you can use the AddProperty()
function on an existing property but the Access method fires before the
redefinition and it gets ugly.

In this specific example the Chilkat property was named "P". So the VFP
property with the Access/Assign methods was named "P_VFP" but wrote the
value to the "P" property (with no Access/Assign methods). In the Init
method of the object I AddProperty() the existing "P" property out to 260
characters.

And it works, though it's not as clean as one would like...

But now think of the size of some web pages, binary file contents, and so
forth. I need to either come up with a cleaner solution or make a second
pass and ripple this idea through more character and binary data.

Bill Anderson