I tried SET TABLEVALIDATE TO 0 with no improvement.  However, after more
trial and error and more research, I discovered the index named invno was
not keyed only on invno, but invno+lineno. I created a new index on invno
only, cleverly named invnoonly and boom, the query takes less than a second
on VFP6 or VFP9. Odd behavior but problem solved! I do appreciate the reply
Michael!