For my ftp transfers I have been using WinZip v-10 (now v-11).  Not only
does it compress the files, it offers some real strong encryption (not just
password protection) as well.  My concern is not only transmitting smaller
files, but in a manner that anyone who may intercept "clear text" file
transmission with the ftp protocol will not get anything useful without
knowing the password needed to decrypt the data.

There are some freeware Zip/Encrypt solutions out there, but I like using
the command line options with WinZip so I can automate all of my
upload/download activity for myself and client machinery.  The command line
option requires an add-on program, that is downloadable from WinZip for
free.

Gil