The (*apocryphal?*) story I heard was when I was working at the U.of F.
in '65:  IBM did a market survey before committing to the S/360 and
determined that the saturation point, the maximum world market for
computers was 6,000 of them.  They decided the market WAS big enough to
spend the money to build the S/360...

(You were with Tom in '35???  Now THAT sounds apocryphal.  Edison and I
didn't see you there...)...