>>Tweet! Timeout! Off sides! I'd just like to clarify the context of our
>>discussion here.<<

Thanks for the official clarification Ted.

But I really think the difference between a service designed to pay hired
people to blog about
products, and individual or independent people blogging about products because
some company sends
them something (money, computers, free software, subscriptions to a service,
etc.) is very little in
the big picture. In my opinion it is splitting hairs. It was probably a mistake
on my part for
including it in the discussion, but conceptually I feel they are close cousins
anyway. Someone
getting paid for blogging/marketing without full disclosure.

Bloggers including Scolble and Splosky have pioneered this and have disclosed
things for a long
time. They have lead the way and set the standard many of us in this industry
can follow. Each have
gone their own way. I respect both and read their posts frequently and learn
much in the process.

Maybe this is just the latest "growth" the new media needs to go through. After
all, blogging is
still in the infancy stage. People are still learning to walk in this new world
and mistakes will be
made in the process.

I am beginning to weigh heavily the credibility and reputation factor the same
way I did back in the
late 90's when Advisor kept asking me to review products. I had written two
reviews for them (one on
the old Stonefield Query, and one on QBF Builder) which were both products I
owned and used. They
sent me several products to review and I told them I did not feel comfortable
reviewing products I
was not familiar with. I think this is an important factor. On the other hand,
there are plenty of
products I can learn more about in the process of researching them for use in
my company, and for my
clients who are also developers.

Besides, I was taught a long time ago that you cannot believe everything you
hear or read. This rule
can be applied to bloggers and mainstream media alike.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.rickschummer.com