Unique indexes are bad and the behavior you are observing is how they are
designed. Direct from
HackFox:

"A so-called unique index contains a key only for the first record that has a
particular key value.
That is, once a key value occurs, no other records with that key value get
added to the index.
There's no mechanism to enforce uniqueness here, just a way to find one of
each. However, unique
indexes are not properly maintained. If you delete a record that's represented
in the index, FoxPro
does not add the next record in the table that has the same key value. Don't
ever use "unique"
indexes—there's always a better way to do it."

Use candidate index tags to get and enforce uniqueness or be prepared to
rebuild the index each time
a record is deleted.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.