> I can't answer the specific question, but I recently took an app from V7
> to V9, and the users are all claiming about a 30% speed increase in
> overall performance.

Do you use objects? If so, that's why. Calvin changed something from
VFP7->VFP8 with how objects are handled. In VFP7 and earlier, objects
were internally stored in a link list, and whenever you created or
accessed objects, this list had to be traversed. This contributed to a
linear slow-down with the number of objects you have. Calvin
implemented a logarithmic lookup in VFP8, which contributed to HUGE
speed increases. Our app saw 10x increases in speed in some
object-intensive areas.

http://blogs.msdn.com/calvin_hsia/archive/2004/12/06/276080.aspx

VFP8 also was the first version with GDI+, which should speed up all
your graphics, though I have noticed some glitchiness compared to the
old GDI. For example, I noticed that sometimes images in controls that
are 'covered up' with another control will 'shine through'... Another
issue is that sometimes I've seen a slight flicker when unlocking the
screen(thisform.lockscreen=.F.)-- I had to do a fairly elaborate fix
using the win32 lockwindowupdate function inside a lockscreen_assign
method to eliminate the flicker).

As for VFP8->VFP9, I don't know of any specific changes that would be
a significant speed increase, but I don't doubt that some exist(it IS
a new version, so they likely did SOMETHING in the name of
performance, I'd think). Personally, my building always gets slower
and slower, because my build machine uses a small wizard I wrote to
build all the projects and do some other things(source safe
synchronization, for one)-- and there's no option to NOT regenerate
component ID's when building with the BUILD command. This means that
the registry on the build machine gets bloated with repeated COM
object information. We have to re-image our build machine quite often
due to this sometimes...

--
Derek