On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:03 PM, Virgil Bierschwale wrote:

> 1. Find qualified people that they can work with.
> 2. Train these people in the techniques that they use to build the
> type of
> applications that they want

Unfortunately, that is not the way the world works these days. Even
so 25+ years ago when I started a new department in a Fortune 500
company. We needed (nontechnical) people like that. Smart, trainable
folks. Since the jobs we were creating were new, there weren't
historical precedents for the type of skills we needed. I figured
"we'll advertise it, interview 10-15 people and hire the best ones."
WRONG!

What if those 2 or 3 we hired all happened to be white or males, or
(gasp) *both.* We would have been exposed (rightly or wrongly) to EEO
lawsuits. So I had to make up a bunch of hokey "requirements," the
only purpose of which was to give me excuses *not* to hire the ones I
didn't want. The ultimate CYA for personnel departments.

So, yes, "personnel people are clueless on technical hires (yada yada
yada)" but there are reasons for all of those job requirements.

Ken