>>Please don't speak for me.I don't want to be down to one. That would be a
>>monopoly and a
monotony.<<

I was not speaking *for* you Ted.

You stated in a previous post that you have a Linux box (for most software) and
a Windows box (for
Fox and Quickbooks), as did Whil, to run your business. I was using your
example. Am I remembering
wrong?

Interesting, when I look up "monopoly" on Dictionary.com, I see your picture in
the definition <bg>.
It has been 20-something years since I got my minor in Econ, but I doubt the
definition of monopoly
really applies to the "other computer guy" in Contoocook, NH.

>>That's a false assertion. "Most" businesses have several OSes running in
>>house. Many businesses
are supporting Windows 2000 and XP and 2003 and PocketPC (every one's
different!) and Blackberries
and incompatible laptops from a couple manufacturers. "Some" run OS X and
Linux, too.<<

My assertion is not false. Your example is way different than mine. My
assertion is most normal
businesses are not going to put 2 machines on every employees desk in their
business so they can do
their jobs. Yes there are exceptions like meteorologist at NOAA (each has three
if I recall
correctly). It has nothing to do with scenarios like Windows desktops and Linux
servers (or
vice-versa) performing different functions in the business environment. You
have two desktops just
to run your business (and several others for supporting clients, which is very
normal in our
business). I have one laptop to develop, keep my books, correspond with clients
and associates, do
research on the Web, watch movies to relax, and everything else. I have several
other machines to
support my clients, but my business is run on one machine, and one OS, and this
is the norm for
general business.

>>This really isn't the case. Very, very few apps run differently on one than
>>another. Apps written
to use the KDE environment run on a GNOME desktop and vice versa. Who's feeding
you this FUD?<<

People I know who work with Linux every day. I am sure if you are just using
office apps and
browsing the web the compatibility is there. But I have friends who have
scientific type apps
running and they need specific configs (hardware and software). I don't
consider it FUD, I consider
it fact and experience. I have other friends who have a different line of
business and they would
never think of mixing different distros into their environment because they
work differently.

So I can listen to you and them and know my experience could be one or the
other or both. I doubt
any are spreading FUD.

>>You've never had a client delete all the .SCT files because those were
>>virus-carrying VB Script
scrap files, eh? All of my clients get FoxPro source, but run EXEs. Why would
you think this would
be different in Linux?<<

Actually I only had the SCT-deleting script file run by an employee hours after
we told him not to.
Never with a client. With the SCTs or even deleting the EXE the users are
destroying something where
I can send them a new copy. If they change the OS under the hood (whether it is
an in-house IT
department or hired out) I don't get to fix this. I think there is a big
difference. Same case
exists in Windows with errant drivers being loaded. Again, I am not picking on
Windows or Linux.

Reminder to self: my point is confusion in the marketplace. This is not a
technical issue, it is a
business issue.

>>If you don't think that *BILLIONS* of dollars will be wasted rolling out
>>Vista to customers who
have absolutely no need for 99% of the features, you're not living in the same
world I am. <<

Don't worry Ted, we live in the same world. I have already stated Vista is
going to be a pain in the
support neck too. I have also stated that Windows and the different platforms
create headaches. I am
not bashing Linux.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.