Stephen,

Besides all the changes in the tax laws, and what is deductible and what
is not, especially when it comes to self-employment which is all a minor
consideration for the rate difference... The real benefit is a CPA can
sit in an IRS audit with you and defned your tax return.  The pimple kid
from H&R Block can not, and you are stuck there defending what the kid
input for you.

But, just like programmers, there are really good CPAs and really bad
CPAs.  When I was interviewing CPAs, my first question was "how many IRS
audits have you defended and won v. lost? And tell me what you learned
from those experiences."

Dan