> It's more stable when compared to my experience with XPSP2. I log 60+ hours
> a week on the same PC running Vista that used to run XP, and Vista doesn't
> crash or hang nearly as often.

I pretty much never have my XP or W2K boxes crash unless I have driver
or overheating problems. Are you doing kernel level development or
something?

> The interface is better; that is less cluttered and a little more intuitive
> for me to use.

I only spent 20 minutes with it, but what was less cluttered or more
intuitive about it? I still saw the same minimize/maximize/close
buttons at the top of the window, could still move windows around,
still had a task bar, still had a start button, etc. I actually found
to do some basic things I had to go through MORE screens than with W2K
or WXP(such as setup the NIC)...

> the ability of the OS to 'bounce back' from errors.

What does this mean? Like, if an application crashes, I can restore to
5min ago, having the application open with my data so I can copy/paste
it out to protect it or maybe not click the button that caused it to
crash? I haven't seen this 'bounce back' feature, so I'm curious what
it might be in some detail...

> Are there things I don't like? Sure. The "security" nags are a joke.

Incredibly annoying. Apple has already jumped on this with their
newest MAC vs. PC/Vista commercial(go to apple.com and look at the
'security' commercial if you haven't seen it).

> IE7 is pretty, but not as stable as IE6 or 5.5.

IE7 is definitely nicer-- and available with XP. I agree it's not as
stable, and I find it's definitely slower and due to the integration
of IE with the O/S, it also slows down the overall system noticeably,
which is a sad thing, indeed...

There's an IE7-look-alike skin for Firefox, BTW. I'm using it here at
work on my W2K machine where I can't install IE7.

> tapped and tamed over time. Give it a chance and I think it will pleasantly
> surprise you once you peel back the irritations that have been put in place
> to "protect" you from errors the average user would trip over.

I'm all for 'protecting' the average user, but for power
users/administrators, Microsoft needs to let us disable that crap--
such as the security 'craplets' as this guy calls them, which are
nothing more than an annoyance.

One of my biggest beefs lately with MS, is that they think it's
acceptable in W2K3 to set automatic updates 'on' without the option to
turn them off, and then auto updates will REBOOT THE COMPUTER without
asking, unattended! We have a few servers that require a login session
to run a processing application that can't run as a service, and this
rebooting will effectively disable our server. The only way to stop
this behavior is to DISABLE the 'Automatic Updates' service... Why
would they gray out the 'automatic updates' control panel? Why have it
at all if you can't control it?

--
Derek