> Yeah. The idea is to have People in the system only once, since the same
> person can be an Artist (designated as such for a Performance, like when
> you go to see Bonnie Raitt--she's got a Band too, but it's not "The Bonnie

<snip>

This sounds like a great problem for a database design class. Give the
students a couple of constraints, and have them build the design. Then
give them some more info, and have them make mods. Rinse, repeat...

Similar to the directory problem, sometimes you need to convert a type
of data into a more abstract element. For example, people have telephone
numbers, web addresses, and email addresses. Telephone numbers can be
land, fax, cell, car, boat, switchboard, direct lines, and so on. Same
for websites, say, hentzenwerke.com as well as whilhentzen.com. And
email addresses, [EMAIL PROTECTED] vs [EMAIL PROTECTED]

So one solution is to have a 'coordinates' table that contains all that
info, together with a tag identifying what type of coordinate it is:

414.555.1212      voice
414.555.1214      fax
414.555.1200      cell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     email
dibblefamily.com  web

and so on.

Similarly, you have people entities, but a 'people' can be a person, a
function (company sales manager) or a group (eby family).

Yes, it is all good clean fun, until someone loses an eye. Then it's
good clean one-eyed fun.

Whil