My wife calls me a pessimist, so I find it odd to be so optimistic
about this, but here's my stream of consciousness thoughts on this:

-There are still Cobol applications running some fairly large
companies (though I couldn't tell you what the numbers are nor who
the companies are, but I've read about it many times)..

-Because of this, my concern for lack of official MS support for VFP
is not that high as clearly, "dead" languages can still survive and
be useful long after they die, especially since many consider Fox
dead already for several years.

-VFP pretty much does everything I need it to, and it's amazing
extensibility means I can add (myself or via the amazing VFP
community) what few missing features are needed as they arise.

-Clients will surely be concerned by this announcement until I
explain what it would cost to re-do their applications in something else.

-I'll probably manage 'ok' just on supporting the current numerous
vfp related applications I've been supporting and improving over the
last 10 years as so many resources have already been spent by the
client that there's little justification to spend 5-10x more just to
move to something "newer". My client's all value ROI over the latest
'technology fads', and it's why we get along so well, as I do to.

-The only hitch in this concept is MS and their ability to force
clients to run newer versions of Windows (by aligning with vendors to
get it pre-installed), which could mean that eventually these
existing VFP apps could eventually stop performing well, or at all,
through no fault of mine or the clients, other than the fact they
needed new computers.

-To answer this however, virtualization can make this a moot point,
and I think it could be possible through virtualization to have
existing customers running Win2K or XP for the next
20 years for the purposes of running their VFP apps to which they've
invested so much $ on.

-Thus the question to me really is, what should "new applications" be
developed with.. to which I ask the question as follows:
   a) What is gained by moving to a new platform?
   b) How robust are the development tools?
   c) How fast can the applications be written?
   d) How do the applications written compare to current VFP abilities
   e) How stable are these new tools and the environments they run?
   f) What's to prevent the new platform, or more importantly the
current 'favorite' tools from being 'dead' in a few years?
   g) What features or reasons are so apparent that I simply cannot
justify continuing to code in VFP?

The bottom line, in my mind, to really summarize this is:
Can I write an application as fast as and as good as anything I can
do in VFP today? Well of course not, there's a learning curve, and of
course, picking the toolset I will dedicate to achieving this 'benchmark'.

So the follow up question is then, if I decide on a toolset, and I
commit to learning it, and I loose $ in the short term while becoming
proficient at this toolset, will it in the long run pay off? I cannot
see the answer to be yes: too many variables, too many new toolsets,
too many bugs in the toolsets, too many changes in technology keep occuring.

Therefore for me, I think what makes the most sense is to continue to
use the strengths of VFP and my proficiency with it, to provide "new
applications" based on a browser interface hitting a 3rd party SQL
database such as mysql or other equivalents. By eliminating the 'fat
client' element, I am cutting ties to Microsoft (with the sole
exception of having 1 windows box as the server which could be hosted
virtually on a non-windows box), and by eliminating the DBF and MSSQL
ties, I am virtually free of MS. Thus the client's can all be running
linux boxes to run the app, and have almost eliminated MS from the
mix. The downside to this is that the web interface still pales to a
rich fat client experience like VFP, but with AJAX and other
technologies that gap is closing fast, and in a few years should be a
non-issue. Some may already say it's a non-issue.

If / when the day comes, that the "new application" written in VFP
providing a web based experience can be written 'better & faster' in
a different tool, I can then migrate that application and be free of
MS all together, *if* that's something my clients demand, and
something that we can justify financially, ie, what's the benefit?

Some may argue those tools already exist, and perhaps they do, but
choosing the right one, and spending years to become as proficient in
them as I am in VFP, just doesn't make sense to me, and I can't see
my clients paying for me to do this, just so they can get rid of
their 1 MS box running IIS in cases where they've already migrated to
the Web based app.

To clients who are still in a fat client setup (most of mine still),
the harder question becomes, is it worth the move at all, and that's
something I can't really answer, because 'today' the application
suits their needs, and they've already invested the $ for it. To
charge them more to move to the web needs to have a clear and well
defined cost benefit to them for the future, and I've yet to really
see that in the short term.

By limiting myself to VFP, I realize that I am closing myself to
potential 'new customers'  whose sole concern is the toolset I use to
deliver their solution, but I maintain that going with newer
technology is probably just as risky, perhaps more so, and in many
cases, probably costs just as much if not more to implement. This
area of course, is the hardest to quantify..

I am of course, always looking and evaluating new toolsets and
technologies to find that killer replacement for VFP, and if I see
it, I will surely devote all my resources to replacing VFP with it,
but I've been watching for 5 years now, and have not really seen it
yet.. Could it be Dabo? I'll keep watching and evaluating it and
others as they mature. Dabo's strength IMO, is that the guy writing
it, knows how great VFP is and is most likely using that as a benchmark.

Well, those are my thoughts as they apply to my situation, but
everyone's situation is surely unique...

-Steve