On 4/16/07, Wolfe, Stephen S YA-02 6 MDSS/SGSI
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What are the 'valid' reasons for getting an update conflict when you are
> using a remote view to a MSSQL table back end?

1. Someone else updated the data.
2. You're specifying the wrong records to update.
3. You've got some process that changes the oldval-newval comparisons
that VFP uses to generate the SQL update statement.
4. There's an error in your view definition.

Remote views generate a SQL statement that attempts to update the
record. How that's formed depends on the settings in the view
definition. One of the best ways to troubleshoot update conflicts is
to get the ODBC Manager logging enabled and to review the actual SQL
statement's that issued.

>  The view carves out
> selected records and computed values from a single table.  Activity on
> the table is typically very, very low.  Like maybe a few transactions
> per second would be considered a heated exchange.  The norm is more like
> a transaction per 10 - 15 seconds.

So, this view is in production, and "normally" works, but is only
throwing an error sometimes?

I'd review my view definition of which fields are updateable and how
the update is specified. Use GENDBC to generate the equivalent code
the view designer uses.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC