Well, I managed to change the machine setup to single processor, and the
problems persists.

So I installed mySQL on the client machine, and used it instead of the one
on the Linux machine on the network. It works fine - no problems - just
like the system at home. So it isn't a dual-core or memory issue after all,
but a network issue.

Talked to the guy that looks after the network, and he mentioned that he
too had been having a problem backing up files from one Linux machine to
another - the target machine being the same one the mySQL server is on. It
turns out that this machine is on the other side of a LinkSys router - he
suspects that may be my problem. He is going to replace the router when he
gets a chance.

Oh well ...