On 7/10/07, Jeff Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I also allow for some temporary local storage in addition to network storage
> for the same reason.  Have you ever asked IT for a major corporation to
> restore a file from backup?  Doesn't matter if its SQL server or VFP tables,
> you will not get it in time to be responsive.
>
> My applications are using web services, sending email notifications and ftp,
> connecting to remote databases; but the desktop application is the hub for
> all of the activity.
>
> While this may not be considered "best practices", this is what my
> applications have evolved into and reliability is a key feature.

Jeff:

I don't think we have any disagreement here. My clients who are
running "web" apps are using an browser to view pages generated by a
web server on their own network from a database server on their own
(intranet) network. If their DSL connection is unavailable, the app
continues unperturbed. The off-site backup doesn't work until the DSL
is restored, but they can continue to function. Remote users can't
access the app when the line is dark, but the in-house
line-of-business app keeps chugging away.

I have had clients that "had to have" internet connectivity, and they
can pay for multiple connections to servers with multiple trunks to
the internet, redundancy, fail-over routers, etc. For most of my
(relatively small) clients, this is overkill and over-bill.

Now, if only we could figure out a way to get them more reliable
electrical power...

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC