I know about 2-3 years ago I purchased a motherboard for a PC for a relative
who initially wanted to use Linux instead of Windows.  After trying to use
Linspire she decided it was too different than Windows and changed her mind,
wanted Windows XP.  I asked my vendor if I could get it separately, and he
said legally he could not do that.  I ended up going to
www.buycheapsoftware.com and was able to purchase Windows oem, but they do
ship it with a "qualifying piece.of hardware" (usually a manufacturing
rejected piece like a PCI slot, or memory riser socket).  The idea is they
shipped it with the hardware, but I do not have to use it with that
hardware, so I still get the price break.  I have always liked doing
business with them, good folks.

Gil