At 2007-12-05 17:43, you wrote:
>I've got a process where I'm copying files from the LAN to a local
>disk temp folder.  The operations performed on that local copy are
>somewhat intense, so I was going to open it EXCLUSIVE in hopes of
>optimizing any possible performance.  Since it's already local, and
>as such exclusive because no other user will access it (even the
>current user as it's put into a random temp folder generated on the
>fly), it'll already be quick I would expect.  I just wondered IN
>THEORY if using the EXCLUSIVE clause would make a difference or not.

Well, it should - since FP has no other way of knowing that you are
the only user that accesses the files, so by default it locks/unlocks
records as necessary.

BTW (which I'm sure you know) - an easy way to do this is to SELECT
the required records/dbfs into a CURSOR, which automatically makes it
exclusive - AND FP will take care of the housekeeping for you, ie
deleting stuff when you're done using it.

* Dan Olsson
* <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
* <http://www.dolittle.se>