From the Database Weekly  newsletter from SQLServerCentral.com...

Editorial - Dead LINQ - Database Weekly (Nov 3, 2008)

There might be lots of DBAs holding their hands up in thanks over the
news that LINQ-> SQL might be dead.

I saw a number of blog posts that referred to this note from the ADO.NET
team about the LINQ roadmap clarification. In the post, the team that
works on this aspect of LINQ doesn't come out and say that LINQ to SQL
is dead, but they do mention that the Entity Framework will be their
recommended method of getting relational data back through ADO to your
application. They do mention that after this release of the .NET
Framework 4.0 they will continue to listen to customers' feedback about
LINQ to SQL and evolve the product.

You can read into this a few ways. One is that they don't want to admit
it's a failure and that they say they'll listen to feedback, but won't
necessarily commit resources. However I'm not sure that's the case.
Perhaps there are issues with LINQ to SQL or they've found that it
creates more calls and support cases for them. Microsoft is aware of the
cost of issues, and for something like this that doesn't generate
revenue, I'm not sure how willing they are to invest in it if it doesn't
improve their business somehow.

I've seen people on both sides of the LINQ to SQL debate, whether it is
a good development strategy or not, but not a lot of details from blogs
and developers as to whether it works well. It doesn't seem that it has
been used long enough for anyone to really make a strong case either
way, and with the resistance from DBAs and those that see it as a black
box they can't work with, perhaps it will die.

Perhaps it's just what it seems and that they have every intention of
continuing work on this, just not as much as in other areas.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if the Entity Framework
provides any better benefits

--
Richard Kaye
Vice President

For the fastest response time, please send your support
queries to:

Technical Support - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet Support - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All Other Requests - [EMAIL PROTECTED]