That's one of the factors, but hardly the only one.  Aint greed a wonderful
thing!

Larry Miller

----- Original Message -----
From: Leland F. Jackson, CPA
To: ProFox Email List
Sent: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:15:54 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [OT] Dow Jones Continues Obama Slide

The current crises seem to be a result of bank and insurance company
exposure from derivative risk.  The first link below goes into an
explanation of derivatives.  The seconds link is a little outdated, but
give some sence of the enormity of the derivative exposure by some of
America's major banks; the risk to insurance companies like AIG
excluded.  The third link below is titled "Derivatives & The Stock
Market: What You Need to Know".  The forth link has to do with "Credit
Default Swaps", a kind of derivate in which the major banks and some
insurance companies had far too great an exposure, where they were
writing contract that paid off in the event of loan defaults like mortgages.

Essentially a derivative is a bet, just like you might make in Las
Vegas, and some banks making markets in these kinds of bets lost big time.

#----------------------------------------
Definition:  Derivative: A financial contract whose value is derived
from the performance of assets, interest rates, currency exchange rates,
or indexes. Derivative transactions include a wide assortment of
financial contracts including structured debt obligations and deposits,
swaps, futures, options, caps, floors, collars, forwards and various
combinations thereof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_(finance)

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_00/ci091500.html

http://www.relfe.com/derivatives.html