From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Whil Hentzen
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 08:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Environment vars in Vista not returning expected values

I need to write data to various folders under both XP and Vista. (Duh.)
We know that data can't go in Program Files\My Stupdendous App\Data any
longer; common wisdom says

   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\My StupidAppData

is the place we oughta be.

I was under the impression, being Vistaless, that the ALLUSERSPROFILE
environment var held the location of

   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

under Vista, but a beta tester is telling me

   On XP, ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
   On Vista, ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData (a hidden System folder)

I can verify that on XP, but not on Vista. Furthermore, they report that
on Vista, the C:\ProgramData folder is not writable.

Have they munged their box or do I have it wrong?

(As an aside, APPDATA returns a user-specific folder, so I don't think
that's what I want.)

Whil