>>But in my ignorance, I have no clue on how to establish an IP connection from
>>the branches to
SQLServer.<<

You should use a VPN connection. If you set the VPN up you reference the SQL
Server via the
servername\instance just like you would inside your network. The VPN
establishes a secure connection
and you don't have to expose the ports to the general Internet.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net