On 26 May 2013 15:32:47 -0600, Don Guinn <dongu...@gmail.com> wrote:

That does it; thanks!

But how do you know about the optional 'b' argument of fread? I cannot find
documentation about fread at all -- either in J701 or J801 using scriptdoc or
in the help pages, included with J or on-line.

Where did you find that documented?

And if it's not in the documentation, is this something one is just supposed to
intuit, or know only if he's a member of some secret cult and is told as part
of initiation rites?

> sortandprint=:4 : 0
>
> text=.'b' fread y
>
> text=./:~text
>
> text=.text,&.>LF
>
> (;text) fwrite x
>
> )
>

> The 'b' option means box each line.
>

> y is file to read,
>
> x is file to write sorted.
>

> If you are dealing with windows and need CRLF as a line separator, replace
> the LF with <CRLF.
>

> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Murray Eisenberg
> <mur...@math.umass.edu>wrote:
>
>> I'm really out of practice with J, and the meager-to-nonexistent
>> documentation is not helping me. I have a very simple task to perform. I
>> have a text file infile.txt on my desktop and here's what I want to do:
>>
>> (1) read the file as lines (so I don't get all the end-of-line symbols);
>> (2) sort the file's lines (alphabetically)
>> (3) write out the result as a new text file, say outfile.txt, also on my
>> desktop.
>>
>> I can do this trivially in Mathematica:
>>
>> t = Import["~/Desktop/infile.txt", "Lines"]
>> Export["~/Desktop/outfile.txt", Sort[t]]
>>
>> But how would I do this in J (which, for longer files, ought to be faster)
>> and how would I discover how to do it? I prefer to use named library
>> functions where applicable.

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    mur...@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305