Regarding COM, there's a now relatively old technology to do without the
registration. Here's a random link on the subject:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5132372/how-to-configure-registrationless-com-components

I have not tried it yet but it looks interesting and there are free tools
to prepare the required manifest.
--
Stefano