The latter: the bus on the motherboard has only pins to address 16 Gb. In
theory the motherboard can host more than 16 Gb, since it's got 4 slots and 8
Gb or more RAM modules are quite common, nowadays. It's the main CPU>RAM bus
that it's too narrow.

The OS (Windows 7 64bits) has much wider addressable range.