The j805 installation instructions for Mac OS X / macOS as written are
defective for macOS Sierra (10.12.2).as written.

1. I followed Download link at www.jsoftware.com <http://www.jsoftware.com/> ,
then Installation link on that page, and finally, in “Installation” section,
clicked the All-in-One link, which landed me at
http://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/System/Installation/All-in-One
<http://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/System/Installation/All-in-One>. There I
downloaded the .dmg form link “Installer for 64-vit OS X.

2. I opened the downloaded .dmg and moved the j64-805 folder to my
/Aoplications folder.

3. In Finder, I navigated to that folde and right-clicked sierra-fix.command to
open, i.e,. execute, that command.

    Somewhat to my surprise, the automatically-opened Terminal window showed
the following:

     [murray:~] $/Applications/j64-805/sierra-fix.command ; exit;
   /Applications/j64-805/sierra-fix.command: line 4: cd: /Users/murray/j64-805:
No such file or directory
   xattr: No such file: jbrk.app
   xattr: No such file: jcon.app
   xattr: No such file: jqt.app
   xattr: No such file: bin/jbrk.command
   xattr: No such file: bin/jqt.command
   xattr: No such file: bin/jconsole
   xattr: No such file: bin/jqt
   logout
   Saving session...
   ...copying shared history...
   ...saving history...truncating history files...
   ...completed.

   [Process completed]

     Evidently sierra-fix.command is expecting the j64-805 install folder to be
in my own user folder — which is not where I would put _any_ app!  Applications
should to into /Applications!

      At this point, needless to say, double-clicking jqt.app or jcon.app did
nothing

THE FIX:

    (a) edit sierra-fix.command so as to change its 4th line to point to the
actual installation folder, in my case, change it to: cd /Applications/j64-805

    (b) right-click  to run that edited sierra-fix.command

    Now double-clicking jqt.app _does_ work.(and so does jcon.app).

    HOWEVER, jhs.app still does NOT work! (even with the usual right-click to
tell macOS it’s OK to open).

    to get jhs.app to work,I tried the following additional steps:

   (c) (i) Navigate to j64-805/bin, right-click jhs.command, and tell macOS
it’s OK to open it. This does start the jhs server.

             But after closing the client and server, still jhs.app does not
work.

        (ii) Did a “Show Package Contents” then right-clicked to open jhs.app >
Contents > MacOS > apprun. That does start the jhs server.

              But still, after closing server & client, jhs.app does not work.

   HOWEVER, if I

        (iii) navigate to j64-805 and from Terminal run command

            xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine jhs.app

 from there, then jhs.app does now work.

CONCLUSION:

Installation instructions for macOS need to be amended to say to edit
sierra-fix.command in order to:

    (A) Edit the target of the cd command so it points to the actual
installation folder; and

    (B) Add the following lines to the script:

          xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine jhs.app

         xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine bin/jhs.command

I would hope that jsoftware could take care of adding those two lines, which
(only for some users) would leave the task of straightening out the cd
command’s target.

> On, 19 Dec 2016 10:24:19 -0500, Eric Iverson <eric.b.iver...@gmail.com
> <mailto:eric.b.iver...@gmail.com>>wrote:
>
> Installing J805 is strongly recommended for all users.
>
> For some previous releases there were various reasons why some users would
> hold of on moving to a new release. This is not the case for this release.
>
> Everyone should move to 805 ASAP. It is in your interest and the
> communities interest.
>
> Install instructions have been significantly reworked. Taking time to
> follow them carefully and providing feedback will help clean things up so
> new users will have a smoother ride.
>
> See www.jsoftware.com <http://www.jsoftware.com/> and click Download.

——
Murray Eisenberg                                mur...@math.umass.edu