The issue with 2!:2 certainly is(was) not only with the memory management.
If I remember correctly, there is a table (may be the 1!:20) which tracks
files in use and their descriptors ( FDs or FILE*s - again not sure now)
and the supporting 2!:2 implementation is inconsistent when filling it

http://jsoftware.com/pipermail/beta/2017-April/008773.html

regards,
 Danil