Roger said that the boxed sample was only for illustration. But then, where
does the empty box come from? Or is this a comma or tab delimited file?
Granted, if the original file is pretty trashy then it is probably
necessary to do some clean-up ending out in table of boxes. But if the data
is relatively clean, then maybe skip the boxing step. Something like:

data=:0 : 0

2 11 xxx 9

3_ -1 11 3j

)