Dissect is available now as an aid to seeing what happened in your tacit sentence:

https://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/Vocabulary/Dissect

Henry Rich

On 8/13/2019 11:21 PM, Ian Clark wrote:
Josh Yang wrote:
I was wondering if you guys have any resources for learning tacit
programming…

There's a mountain of stuff in jwiki which purports to help a beginner with
tacit code. Too much IMO -- with too little feedback on what's proved to be
helpful and what hasn't.

It would be nice to identify a royal road to point beginners along. But
that idea comes to grief thanks to "cognitive style" -- different beginners
bring different aptitudes and past experiences to the task of learning J.

In 2012 I tried to pull together into a roadmap all the material I could
identify as relevant:
    https://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/Guides/Tacit_to_explicit_roadmap
I omitted the main texts in the corpus of J Help however, e.g. LJ, JforC,
etc.

My aim was not to throw-in yet-another potted tutorial on tacit
programming, but to survey what was out there and discuss the different
approaches taken, plus the tools (then) available, without presuming to
critique each page: i.e. to say whether the approach was any good. In the
absence of feedback I had no way of telling that.

This proved to be a tall order: I needed to adopt a viewpoint from which to
survey the field, and explain it in terms a beginner might possibly
understand. Re-reading it 7 years later, I'm not sure I was altogether
successful.

It's too much to hope a beginner might "learn tacit programming" from
reading this roadmap. But if you're a beginner, and shopping for a tutorial
on the topic, this roadmap surveys and comments on each (then) available
page, and you might just understand enough of what's said to decide if you
like the approach it takes enough to persevere with it.

Let me know if I've missed anything, or if any new tools and tutorials have
come along since 2012 which the roadmap needs to cover.

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 at 00:20, The3DSquare Josh Yang <