Your method looks classy!  No idea what’s wrong.

FWIW,  I took the initial grid, adding enough empty planes so that no edge
planes could be occupied in the required number of generations, set up a 26 * 3
array of offsets,  111,110,101,    ... , -101, -110, -111,  (omitting spaces)
and then ravelled the data and changed the offsets to a vector using shape #:
offsets.  It was easy then to get the number of live neighbours for each point.
Crude,  but fast enough.

It was tempting to dig up Life in the J Wiki.

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPad