Middle East
Yemen forces attack 'March for Life'
At least 13 protesters killed when forces loyal to President Ali Abdullah Saleh 
open fire on procession.
Last Modified: 25 Dec 2011 09:41

The "March for Life" rally from Taiz to the capital Sanaa began on Tuesday [AFP]

Yemeni security forces have killed 13 protesters in an attack on a crowd of 
more than 100,000 protesters peacefully marching into the capital to protest 
against President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

"Thirteen people were killed and 50 others were wounded by live rounds," a 
medical official said on Sunday.

The medic from a field hospital in the capital said that 150 other people 
suffered from breathing difficulties due to tear gas inhalation.

Saleh had earlier said he would go to the United States in order to allow an 
interim government to prepare for an election to replace him, but did not 
specify when he would leave.

The protesters had marched for four days and 320km on foot to pressure the 
government not to give Saleh immunity from prosecution, in the first march of 
its kind in the impoverished country.

After protesters arrived at the southern entrances to the capital, forces of 
the elite Republican Guard fired on them with automatic weapons, tear gas and 
water cannons, sparking hours of clashes.

Saleh travels

Saleh, speaking to reporters after forces loyal to him fired at protesters 
demanding he face trial for killing demonstrators over 11 months of protests, 
said he had no designs on staying in power.

"I will go to the United States. Not for treatment, because I'm fine, but to 
get away from attention, cameras, and allow the unity government to prepare 
properly for elections," he said on Saturday.

"I'll be there for several days, but I'll return because I won't leave my 
people and comrades who have been steadfast for 11 months," he said. "I'll 
withdraw from political work and go into the street as part of the opposition."

"This march is the biggest violation of the Gulf initiative," Saleh told 
reporters in Sanaa a few hours after the opposition accused his troops of 
attacking the protesters.

Tens of thousands of demonstrators set off from the southern city of Taiz on 
Tuesday for the march to the capital.

The demonstrators, part of the "March for Life" rally, arrived in Sanaa in 
mid-afternoon on Saturday but were blocked in a southern suburb, witnesses 
said. Around 90 others were wounded, doctors told the Reuters news agency.

Activist Waddad al-Dhalie said that a number of female protesters were also 
injured with bullets and tear gas.



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke