Tube bombs 'almost simultaneous' 

The three bombs on London underground trains "exploded almost 
simultaneously", say police. 
Scotland Yard Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick said the 
attacks took place within 50 seconds of each other. 

Technical data from London Underground disproved the earlier wider 
range of timings between explosions. 

The police also warned that the recovery of victims could continue 
through the night. 

There is still no certainty about the number of people whose bodies 
remain trapped in wrecked train carriages below King's Cross, say the 
police. 

This would be a "slow, methodical, meticulous process" in very 
difficult circumstances, said Deputy Chief Constable Andy Trotter. 

Missing 

There have been 49 confirmed fatalities in the bomb attacks on tube 
trains and a bus - and concerns remain for a further 25 missing 
people. 


 
 

So far no victims have been formally identified - and police warn 
that the process, due to begin on Saturday, could take weeks to 
complete. 

The police say that timings show that the explosions took place at 
8.50am - and that the synchronisation could suggest that bombs used 
in the attack were triggered using timing devices. 

High-explosives were used in the attacks and were not home-made, say 
the police. 

Mr Paddick denied reports that investigators were looking "for any 
specific individual". 

Prime Minister Tony Blair warned that security and surveillance will 
not be enough to stop such attacks - and that there has to be an 
ideological struggle in which terrorism is "pulled up by the roots". 


Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Blair commended 
the "inner resilience" of Londoners - as the capital's transport 
system began to return to a close-to-normal service. There are now 
services running on sections of all lines on the London Underground. 

A book of condolence has been opened - which was signed by Prince 
William in Auckland, New Zealand. 

Terrorism experts have been arriving from Spain to support the 
inquiry in London, bringing expertise from the investigation into the 
train bomb attacks on Madrid. 

Forensic search 

A claim for the attacks has been made in the name of al-Qaeda - by a 
group calling itself the Abu Hafs al-Masri brigade. 


 I saw three bodies on the track - I couldn't look, it was so 
horrific 
Scott Wenbourne 
 

But the BBC's security correspondent Gordon Corera has urged caution 
over the credibility of the claim. 

Forensic teams working in Tube tunnels and at the other scenes of the 
blasts are taking swabs to try to determine the type of explosives 
used. 

The roof of the number 30 bus, which was ripped off in the blast at 
Tavistock Square, has been removed from the scene for forensic 
examination. 

Police are also involved in one of the UK's biggest searches of CCTV 
footage to see if there are any clues as to the identity of the 
bombers. 

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said there were a number of 
key questions which investigators were analysing. 


"One of the most important is were the bombers home-grown British 
terrorists or was this a hit team that came in from abroad?" he said. 

One possibility being investigated was that the bomb maker was an 
expert who came and instructed the bombers. 

Another area was to see if they were "linked directly" to what was 
left of the core of al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan or acting 
alone. 

Search for missing 

Anxious family and friends are continuing their search for loved ones 
who have not been heard from since the bombings. 


 EMERGENCY NUMBERS 
Anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321 
Missing relatives: 0870 156 6344  

The emergency call centre in London has taken more than 120,000 calls 
from the public. 

And the police say they are to open a reception centre in central 
London for people looking for friends and family not seen since the 
explosions. 

Those looking for missing people have been contacting hospitals, as 
well as taking photos and posters to the four blast sites. 

Scotland Yard confirmed seven people died in the Liverpool Street 
explosion, another seven at Edgware Road, a further 13 in the 
Tavistock Square bus blast and at least 21 at the King's Cross blast. 
A 49th person died in hospital later. 

Some 700 people were hurt, about 69 are being treated in hospital and 
15 remain in a critical condition. 



Blasts occurred: 

Between Aldgate and Liverpool Street tube stations 
Between King's Cross and Russell Square tube stations 
At Edgware Road tube station 
On bus at Tavistock Square  



Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/4666591.stm

Published: 2005/07/09 13:44:49 GMT

© BBC MMV




Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Kirim email ke