Blair in denial over Iraq, says Kennedy

· Pride preventing troops' withdrawal, members told
· Offence of glorifying terrorism 'is unworkable'

Tania Branigan and Michael White
Thursday September 22, 2005
The Guardian

Charles Kennedy will today use his keynote address to the Liberal Democrat
conference to accuse the prime minister of "playing politics" with
opposition leaders over anti-terrorism legislation and of letting his pride
get in the way of withdrawing British troops from Iraq.

Recalling the extra 1m votes his anti-war stance won on May 5, the Liberal
Democrats' leader will don the mantle of "real opposition leader" to accuse
Tony Blair of being in denial over Iraq and over anti-terror legislation.

Mr Kennedy will step up his demand for a timetable for withdrawing UK
troops, saying: "The government must confront the fact that the presence of
British and American forces in Iraq is a part of the problem. After this
week's events in Basra we cannot sustain the myth that Iraqis see coalition
troops as liberators. What they see is an occupation."

Mr Kennedy's admirers point to his decision to oppose the 2003 war as proof
that he is brave and shrewd. But others doubt he is ambitious enough to make
the most of his chances. Today he will try to dispel such notions in a
speech billed as personal in its discussion of his motives.

He will reinforce the message, given to the Blackpool conference yesterday
by Mark Oaten, his home affairs spokesman, that the party will not back the
"unworkable" offence of glorifying terrorism or the plans to hold suspects
for up to three months without charge.

Mr Kennedy, who must use today's speech to convince Lib Dem MPs and
activists that he really wants to soldier on as leader, will tell the
conference: "Just as we Liberal Democrats opposed the flawed logic of that
war in Iraq, we will oppose the flawed government claim that we have to
surrender our fundamental rights in order to improve our security."

He is expected to address the way liberalism should best respond to
political challenges. Few senior Lib Dems believe he faces any direct
challenge, but there has been an undercurrent of frustration at his
laid-back leadership style.

One pro-Kennedy peer, Blackpool's Lord Tom McNally, told the Guardian
yesterday: "The goodwill for Charles is enormous; I don't know anyone with
malicious intent. But I'm still waiting for Prince Hal to become Henry V."

Few colleagues want him to quit and there is no obvious successor. His
deputy, Sir Menzies Campbell, 62, has let it be known he is willing to serve
if Mr Kennedy steps down, but only if, Howard-like, he becomes leader
unopposed.

His defeated 1999 rival, Simon Hughes, again stressed his loyalty yesterday.
But he and the brainy if uncharismatic Vince Cable would be likely to thwart
that coronation scenario.

Among the younger would-be leaders, Mr Oaten made an impressive platform
speech yesterday. While accepting that some of the home secretary's drafted
offences - of training terrorists, preparing for an attack and indirectly
inciting activity - were necessary, he denounced the offence of glorifying
terrorism. "One person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter," he said.
"This is a dangerous proposal - hard to define in theory, unworkable in
practice and putting freedom of speech at risk." He also insisted he would
not agree to an extension from 14 days to three months of the period during
which police can hold suspects without charge. But neither Mr Oaten nor Mr
Kennedy has ruled out a compromise.

Mr Oaten also advised that combating terrorism meant addressing the
underlying causes, such as the "mosaic society" whereby communities
coexisted but lived parallel lives. "We must work to address the genuine
concerns which exist throughout our country about the state of
multiculturalism. We must make new Britons feel that this is their society
... and we must address the appalling deprivation experienced by second,
third and fourth generation Muslims."

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1575444,00.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM