Subject:
Hacking a Dual-Boot Environment
From: JD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:19:51 -0800
To:
Discussion list for Slackware Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For me personally, this is really a God-sent answer to my prayer for the
well-being of my laptop...:) I guess the Christian God can also be 'the'
computer-god...:) We don't have a computer-God yet, do we? Maybe we can
start to burn our old & useless floppy disk for this God to play with
His computer up there...:)

All right folks,  the backbone of this hack is ext2ifs.exe from
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm that allows us to
r-x-w files in ext2/ext3 filesystem from Windows! So yes, if your Linux
fs is ext2/ext3 you can open it up as a normal drive from Windows.

This is of course very good! This is really a God-sent application!
Imagine, now you can make Win-Lin share your ftp folder, share your
mysql dbase, and some other tons of possibilities! I know before we
'could' also do it by sharing a third fat32 partitions; but as you know,
it's just problems! For whatever reasons I remember that sometimes mysql
just doesn't want to read or execute anything if I put the folder in a
shared fat32 partition; etc.

Anyway, here is a two hacks that I think is immediately useful for every
dual-booters:

One, sharing the swap file! So, create a swapfile on your Linux and name
it pagefile.sys as we normally do. Then in M$, go to my computer, and
direct the machine to use the pagefile.sys as its swap. What a save of
space!

Two, sharing the email folder [in my case I use Thunderbird]. As a rule,
let Linux store the folder in your ~/.thunderbird folder. Then run
Thunderbird from M$, create your account as you normally do with it, yet
at last direct the folder of EACH email ACCOUNT you have to your
~/.thunderbird/... folder. In thunderbird you can find this in 'Alt-E-A'
then go to 'Server Setting', Alt-B, and direct it to your ~/.thunderbird
under your Linux drive. Remember to also do this with your 'Local
Folder' account! However, do maintain the compulsory Thunderbird folder
under your "C:\Document & Settings\~\Application Data\".

Guys, I have tried to do number two for so loooonnnng! The problem lies
in the *.dat & *.appreg files. One is used under M$ and the other one is
under Linux; yet they both are incompatible. So, although I have tried
to put it under a third-shared-partition, they just crashed all the
time! Not to mention the Chrome things, etc.

As you know, Thunderbird is the direct outspring from Mozilla Suite &
the direct grand-child of Netscape. Meaning this hack is also applicable
if your mail client is Netscape or Mozilla.

Well..., hopefully this is useful for you & can be your nice little
project for this weekend...:)

Have a nice weekend slacker!
JD

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM