http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=81456&d=4&m=5&y=2006&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Local%20Press

Sunday, 30, April, 2006 (02, Rabi` al-Thani, 1427)

      Are They Afraid of Women?
      Layla Al-Ahdab . Al-Watan

      "Opening the door for women to work in women-only clothes shops,
especially in the underwear section, with men in the same store but in other
departments, is dangerous for the women that accept such jobs. This will expose
women to harassment from these men. Did we forget that the shops would be
closed for prayer? If the shops were closed, where would they go? It could be
possible that a man would hide inside the store and wait for the store to close
down and empty from customers and then assault a female worker. What about
other problems that come with men and women working together?"

      The above statement belongs to a person with a wild imagination. This man
asks why women do not go to prayer. He points out that women could be exposed
to harassment and even rape if a man hides inside the store during prayer time.

      My first reaction is to ask: When is a mall empty of people during the
daytime prayers? It's hard to conceive an instance where a woman would be alone
in a room with a deranged attacker in a shopping center. Most likely, she will
be in a closed store praying or drinking tea with colleagues.

      The Labor Ministry's recent drive to incorporate women sales clerks in
stores that cater to women does not include any suggestion that women would be
inside a closed shop with men. The man that made this comment seems unable to
differentiate between men and women interacting in a salacious manner and men
and women simply working together in a public place with respect and dignity.

      This man seems to think that women shouldn't leave the home to conduct
any kind of business. This is of course contrary to Islam, which only
establishes a need for an understanding between the wife and husband. During
the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) women were out in the
market doing business. It is very important that we separate religion from
tradition in order to ensure success in opening the field for women to work in
jobs that are not haram (forbidden).

      Apparently conservatives like this man don't even consider the
embarrassment that some women might endure discussing panty and bra sizes with
a male sales clerk. And how many husbands are eager to do this shopping on
their wives' behalves? How many brothers are going to shop for their single
sisters' underwear?

      A few years ago I did an interview with a foreign newspaper journalist, a
woman. She asked me if the reason behind the conservatives' opposition to women
working had anything to do with fear of women. I denied it at the time. But
after listening to some of the views of conservatives in this country, I
changed my mind and agreed with the reporters' sentiment.

Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]