http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/balibo-inquest-warrant-issued-as-whitlam-faces-questions-by-court/2007/03/01/1172338795346.html#


Balibo inquest warrant issued as Whitlam faces questions by court
Hamish McDonald
March 2, 2007


A SYDNEY coroner yesterday issued an arrest warrant for a former Indonesian 
minister to be compelled to give evidence about his role in the killing of five 
Australian-based newsmen in Balibo, East Timor, 31 years ago.

A deputy state coroner, Dorelle Pinch, also revealed that the former prime 
minister Gough Whitlam had been interviewed by a court lawyer and might be 
ordered to appear at her inquest into the deaths, along with other senior 
figures in his government.

The arrest warrant against retired Indonesian lieutenant-general Mohammad Yunus 
Yosfiah, who was information minister in 1998-99 and remains a member of 
parliament, can only be executed if he enters Australia. As he has not been 
charged with any offence, he cannot be the subject of an extradition request.

Ms Pinch said it had been issued because Mr Yosfiah had refused repeated 
invitations to appear, most recently this week. "It's an indication of how 
seriously I regard the necessity of having him here," she said.

Mr Yosfiah yesterday laughed when told of the warrant.

"Let it be. How can they do that?" he told Australian Associated Press. Asked 
if he was concerned, he said: "No, why must I worry? I don't feel guilty."

This week Mr Yosfiah was identified by a former Canberra intelligence analyst, 
Colonel Geoff Cameron, as having led special forces in the covert October 16, 
1975, attack on Balibo in which five newsmen from the Nine and Seven networks 
died.

Former members of local militias with the Indonesian troops have told the 
Coroners Court that former captain Yosfiah ordered the newsmen killed as they 
tried to surrender. One said he had led the shooting.

On Wednesday, a former navy linguist at the Defence Signals Directorate 
listening station in Darwin said he had been called by Mr Whitlam's department 
within an hour of his report that five Australian journalists had just been 
killed and their bodies "incinerated or burnt to a crisp".

Ms Pinch said evidence heard over the past four weeks was taking the inquest 
into the "inner sanctum" of Canberra privy to sensitive intelligence.

In October 1975, this comprised Mr Whitlam, his foreign minister, Don Willesee; 
his defence minister, Bill Morrison; their department heads, and the head of 
the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation.

"It seems likely that this group of people people will be able to give relevant 
evidence," she said.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Mark Tedeschi, QC, had interviewed Mr Whitlam 
within the past week to obtain evidence. His statement would be studied before 
hearings resume on May 1.

Aside from Mr Whitlam, the surviving members are Mr Morrison, the former Prime 
Minister's Department head John Menadue, and the then Department of Foreign 
Affairs secretary, Alan Renouf.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups.  See the new email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke