http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2029504,00.html

Senior Democrats unveil Iraq pullout plan
Mark Tran and agencies
Thursday March 8, 2007
Guardian Unlimited 


Senior congressional Democrats today threw down the gauntlet to the Bush 
administration by unveiling legislation setting a timetable for a US troop 
withdrawal from Iraq. 
The direct challenge to the White House follows the president's decision last 
month to send an extra 21,500 troops to Iraq despite growing public opposition 
to the war. 

The plan calls for a complete withdrawal of combat forces by August 2008 at the 
latest. A senior House Democrat, David Obey, said the plan will bring an 
"orderly and responsible close" to American participation in Iraq's "civil war".

Having regained control of Congress in the November midterm elections, the 
Democrats are now using their new-found political muscle to contest the 
president's Iraq policy. 
An influential group of liberal House Democrats said they would oppose their 
own leadership's plan to push for a complete withdrawal of US troops by the end 
of this year. 

Yet George Bush, whose term will end next November, shows no sign of bending 
and there is every chance that American troops will remain at present levels at 
least until the end of his tenure. 

The day-to-day commander of American forces in Iraq has recommended that the 
heightened American troop levels there be maintained through February 2008. 

The New York Times reports that the recommendation from Lieutenant General 
Raymond Odierno reflects the new counterinsurgency doctrine requiring US and 
Iraqi government forces to hold territory to deny insurgents safe havens. 

This "clear-and-hold" policy is favoured by the new commander of US forces in 
Iraq, General David Petraeus, who was appointed by Mr Bush last month in a 
last-ditch attempt to quell sectarian warfare in Baghdad. 

Barack Obama, one of the Democratic frontrunners in the presidential race, last 
year unveiled his own legislation in the Senate calling for a withdrawal of all 
US combat forces by the end of March 2008. 

Mr Bush has always opposed any suggestion of a timetable for pulling out US 
troops


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Something is new at Yahoo! Groups.  Check out the enhanced email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke