Reflection: The sick and the slow are not good partners, their activities in 
collecting and manipulating wealth are not effective at all to be compared with 
the corrupt one. Therefore they must be removed, so is the rule of the game.

http://www.asiaviews.org/?content=432fdftretrw3re&story=20070503051854

        
     
      The sick and the slow, but not the corrupt 


      AsiaViews, Edition: 14/IV/Apr/2007 

      The President said that changes will be made to the cabinet in early May. 
Of the 13 ministers with health problems, three are very likely candidates for 
removal. Two poorly performing ministers may also be replaced. A total of five 
to seven of them are up for replacement. 
      President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is thinking about who will fill these 
vacancies. The Vice President and high-ranking party figures have lobbied the 
President by suggesting some new candidates.  

      THE one-hour meeting took place between President Susilo Bambang 
Yudhoyono and Vice President Jusuf Kalla, starting at 12:30pm, on Tuesday two 
weeks ago. This was a change from their regular Friday meetings.

      Following on rumors of an impending cabinet reshuffle, many suspected 
that Yudhoyono and Kalla were inside busily making a list of ministers to be 
removed and their likely replacements. Reporters waited outside in expectation. 
They came out smiling, walking side by side but did not reveal anything on the 
reshuffle.

      Kalla's explanation about what happened during the meeting revealed 
little. He said that they had a casual meeting, that nothing special was 
discussed. "We talked about many things. About the rice issue, other economic 
issues, and political matters." Yusril Ihza Mahendra said that he ran into 
Kalla as he was about to enter the President's office. Yusril related that at 
that time Kalla said: "There are 13 ministers who are ill. Eight of them have 
heart conditions."

      A Tempo source close to the Palace said that Yudhoyono and Kalla did 
indeed discuss the reshuffle. Kalla urged that a number of economic ministers 
be removed from the cabinet. 

      One minister who needs to be replaced is Purnomo Yusgiantoro, Minister of 
Energy & Mineral Resources. Kalla reasoned that this post administers assets 
worth scores of trillions of rupiah, and the minister should be able to 
stimulate the economy.

      Several other economic ministers, especially those who work with the real 
sector, were also seen as being slow and even lacking coordination. At the end 
of a cabinet meeting at the end of last year, said the source, two ministers 
even got into a heated argument. 

      This row was caused by their policy differences, which often collided. 
The argument was so heated that one minister even said, "Let's see which one of 
us is out [of the cabinet] in the next round, you or me."

      Accusations of poor performance and weak coordination among the economic 
ministers have been significant, as the announcement of the cabinet reshuffle 
approaches. The Justice & Prosperity Party (PKS), for instance, is urging that 
a number of economic ministers be replaced. The reason for this call for 
change, said Tifatul Sembiring, the party's president, is that, "Unemployment 
has grown and poverty is on the rise."

      A number of high-ranking officials in the Golkar Party also admitted they 
are bothered by the economic stagnation in the real sector. "They are 
responsible for that [bad performance] in the real sector, such as among small- 
and medium-sized enterprises and farming," said Firman Subagyo, a Chairman in 
the Golkar Party Central Leadership Board. 

      In his meeting with Yudhoyono at the Palace, said a Tempo source at the 
President's office, Kalla had compared the pros and cons of replacing those 
economic ministers as compared to replacing Minister of Justice & Human Rights 
Hamid Awaludin and State Secretary Yusril Ihza Mahendra. 

      Kalla felt that there was no urgency to replace Hamid and Yusril, since 
the two did not seem to be in any trouble. In addition to replacing them, "it 
would not have any connection with efforts to get the economic sector moving." 
The involvement of these two ministers in the release of Tommy Suharto's funds 
in the London branch of Bank Paribas has been a hot topic of late.

      Rumors of changes to the cabinet's economic team spread even faster based 
on a rumor that Kalla's relationship with a number of economic ministers was 
already at breaking point. Kalla is often angry with economic ministers whom he 
feels are moving too slow. On the other hand, those ministers feel that Kalla 
is trying to "bulldoze" them.

      A Tempo source close to Boediono, the Coordinating Minister for the 
Economy, said that Boediono has not been getting along well with Kalla. That is 
why he has already asked to resign twice. "The request was made verbally while 
meeting the President at the Palace," said the source. But Yudhoyono asked 
Boediono to stay on.

      Boediono himself denied rumors of his impending departure. "Who's making 
all this up?" he asked reporters some time ago, while adding that, "the rumors 
have not affected my work in the least."

      In addition to discussing the performance of ministers during the meeting 
at the Palace, Kalla also submitted the criteria for prospective ministers. The 
main consideration is that they be in good health. Ministers, said Jusuf Kalla, 
have to be ready to work round the clock.

      The Vice President denied getting involved in the cabinet reshuffle. He 
said: "The matter of the reshuffle is purely the President's prerogative." As 
Golkar Chairman, Kalla said that his party had already submitted some names to 
Yudhoyono. "How can we prepare our cadre? We don't even know who is to be 
replaced," he said on Friday last week.

      Who will be shown the exit or the entrance to the cabinet will only be 
known sometime this week. However, a source from the Palace confirmed that a 
number of ministers who are seriously ill are likely candidates for removal.

      One of them is Home Affairs Minister Muhammad Ma'ruf, who suffered a 
stroke. Jusuf Kalla himself accompanied Ma'ruf to Mount Elizabeth Hospital, in 
Singapore. The President, said someone at the Palace, has already received the 
results of Ma'ruf's health check. 

      What did his medical record say? Pak Ma'ruf, according to the source, 
"Has improved, but the recovery process will take a long time." So that he does 
not become a burden to his family, he will be given leave.

      The difficult part is selecting his replacement. Some circles have 
already submitted the names of candidates. The Democrat Party, for instance, is 
suggesting E.E. Mangidaan, head of the Democrat faction in the House of 
Representatives (DPR). 

      A number of institutions which once worked hard to support Yudhoyono to 
win the presidency in the 2004 election have nominated Muhammad Jasin to be the 
new Home Affairs Minister. Jasin was Yudhoyono's confidant back when he was 
still the Coordinating Minister for Political & Security Affairs. 

      Another likely candidate to be removed is Defense Minister Juwono 
Sudarsono. He also suffered a stroke. Although he has already recovered, "Pak 
Juwono needs time to recuperate," said a source at the Palace.

      Who will replace Juwono? There is a long list of candidates. Reportedly, 
Golkar has been recommending Theo Sambuaga since December as a replacement. 
Theo was chosen following internal party deliberations. A high-ranking Golkar 
official has confirmed that Sambuaga's name has already been submitted to the 
President as a potential candidate.

      When Theo Sambuaga appeared at the Tampak Siring Palace, Bali, on Friday 
last week, it was widely reported that he was there not only to attend the 
signing of the extradition treaty between Indonesia and Singapore, but also 
because he was summoned by the President for an informal get-together.

      Golkar is also supporting Muladi, presently the Governor of the National 
Defense Institute (Lemhannas), for the position. 

      Yet another candidate for dismissal due to health reasons is Joko 
Kirmanto, the Public Works Minister. In May 2006, Joko was rushed to Pertamina 
Hospital after he suddenly passed out due to a heart attack. 

      Minister Joko now feels fit. "I am really healthy now. I can work 
indefinitely. In short, as long as the President still wants me to work, I will 
work," said Joko at the Presidential Palace, on Monday last week. He was seen 
accompanying Yudhoyono at the Tampak Siring Palace, four days later. 

      However, a Tempo source at the Palace confirmed that, "Pak Joko Kirmanto 
needs rest so that he can fully recover." The Public Works Minister, the source 
continued, carries a very heavy burden. He must administer the infrastructure 
in order to stimulate foreign investment.

      Who will replace Joko? This is not yet a foregone conclusion. However, 
many are eager to fill this lucrative position. Golkar, said a high-ranking 
party official, has submitted the name of Burhanuddin Napitupulu. However, it 
appears that there is some stiff competition for this position. Politicians 
from the Regional Representatives' Council (DPD) are also ready to compete.

      These provincial politicians have agreed on the candidacy of Suroso, 
currently the head of the DPD group at the DPR. One DPD member, Ichsan 
Lolembah, confirmed that Suroso was submitted to the President as a candidate 
in April.

      Suroso is known as an infrastructure architect. He did a successful job 
of managing toll roads in the Philippines and Malaysia. So, said Lolembah, "Pak 
Suroso is very capable of dealing with infrastructure projects which have not 
been able to go forward."

      Kirmanto said that he would accept it if Yudhoyono dropped him from the 
cabinet. "It's up to him," he said. "As a minister, it's not my job to think 
about the replacement."

      The replacement of 10 other ministers who were seriously ill is also 
being considered. "Their families are helping them recuperate. Of course, the 
President appreciates their efforts," said a source. Whether or not they are 
replaced depends on how long they need to recover. If it takes more than three 
months, they will be dismissed. However, those who can fully recover from 
ordinary illnesses can continue.

      A divisive battle over ministerial posts is also taking place in the 
fields of politics and law. One position being fought over is Hamid Awaludin's 
chair. However, a Tempo source at the Palace said that Hamid's position hangs 
in the balance. "The score is 50:50," said the source. 

      Although there have been many calls to displace Hamid, the President is 
using a formal judicial approach in evaluating the cases affecting Hamid. 
Regarding the disbursement of Tommy Suharto's funds, he is only considered to 
have committed an administrative error. 

      The case of suspected corruption at the General Elections Commission 
(KPU) is felt to be weak due to the lack of evidence. Hamid, who at the time 
was a KPU member, was being probed because it was felt that he influenced the 
purchase of ballot envelope seals, resulting in state losses. Six witnesses 
said that Hamid was present in the meeting in which the price was determined. 
However, no written proof has been found which confirms his attendance. The 
position of Yusril Ihza Mahendra, according to this source, is also half 
in-half out.

      Sugiharto is also in a precarious position. It is felt that the 
performance of this State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) Minister has been dismal. 
Perhaps, "It is because he had been ill," said a Tempo source at the Palace.

      A number of high-ranking Golkar officials have also sharply criticized 
Sugiharto's job performance. Enggartiasto Lukita, a Golkar Chairman, asked the 
President to dismiss Sugiharto. The reason is, he said: "At this time, about 10 
directors in the SOEs Ministry have not been replaced and have been left 
hanging in the air. Whereas, those directors are needed to stimulate the 
performance of those SOEs."

      It is likely that many people will be vying for this position. Keep in 
mind that this Ministry commands enormous wealth. In 2006, SOEs had total 
assets of Rp1,361 trillion. A high-ranking Golkar official said that Kalla is 
trying to put Sofyan Djalil in this position. If Sofyan leaves his post as 
Minister of Communication & Information, it can be filled by Theo Sambuaga, if 
he fails to become the new Minister of Defense.

      Those close to Yudhoyono are also naming names to fill the post of SOEs 
Minister. Among those suggested are: Agus Pakpahan, Arwin Rasyid, and Muchayat, 
the Deputy Minister of SOEs. 

      The position of State Minister for the Development of Disadvantaged 
Regions, Saifullah Yusuf, may also be up for grabs. The National Awakening 
Party (PKB) has proposed that Saifullah be removed. The reason is, this nephew 
of Abdurrahman Wahid has crossed over to the United Development Party (PPP), so 
he is no longer a PKB cadre.

      Those suggested to replace him include, among others: Muhaimin Iskandar, 
Lukman Edy, and Bahruddin Bashori. Muhaimin is the top contender of the three. 
His position as PKB Chairman may prove to be beneficial for Yudhoyono.

      However, it seems that it will not be easy to dislodge Saifullah. The 
thing is, he is surrounded by high-ranking PPP officials. According to some 
seniors at PPP, Saifullah's job performance has been very good. To secure 
Saifullah's position, top PPP officials are asking for support from other 
parties, including the National Mandate Party (PAN).

      Two weeks ago, Suryadharma Ali met with Sutrisno Bachir. In this meeting, 
said Sutrisno, Suryadharma asked for help to strengthen Saifullah's position. 
Bachir said that he was up to the challenge. 

      This support, said Bachir, was because Saifullah has been working hard 
and has not made any mistakes as minister. So, "Don't replace him just because 
he switched to PPP, and now the PKB wants him out."

      So far, Bachir has not done anything to shield Saifullah. However, 
Sutrisno mentioned that Cabinet Secretary Sudi Silalahi called him sometime 
ago. "Mas Sudi said that he will let him know if the President wants to have a 
talk," said Bachir.

      Early this May, the winners and losers will finally be known.

     

      By Wenseslaus Manggut, Sunariah (Jakarta), Sutarto (Bali) 
      Tempo, No. 35/VII/01-07 May 2007 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke