http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mud-volcano-threatens-ruin/2007/05/25/1179601669797.html



Mud volcano threatens endless ruin as magical solutions fail


 
The roofs of what were once factories peek out of the lake of mud that has 
overtaken Sidoarjo in Indonesia's east Java.
Photo: AAP


Mark Forbes, Sidoarjo
May 26, 2007

 
THEY come from all across Java - the prophets, the psychics and the pious - to 
cast spells, prayers and offerings into the massive mud lake that has subsumed 
nearly 700 hectares around the town of Sidoarjo.

The ooze has forced more than 43,000 Indonesians from their homes. And still it 
flows.

Dwarfed by an enormous dyke ringing the centre of the "mud volcano" they kneel 
before the bubbling ooze. Wearing a black headscarf and supported by a Javanese 
blend of Islam and mysticism, Sri Sunarti scatters water gathered from the 
grave of a 17th-century Muslim missionary. An ancient spirit, Semar, had told 
her she could halt the mud with prayer, Mrs Sunarti says.

Others do not share her faith. Excavators continually reinforce the main dam as 
plumes of toxic gas rise overhead, with lava-hot mud shooting up to 30 metres.

Authorities have barred more than two citizens from entering the site at a time 
and then they may only walk a few metres along an outer wall, one kilometre 
from the central dam. The sacrificial throwing of live cows, goats and chickens 
into the mud has been banned.

A policeman guarding the site says groups from across Java often arrive to 
perform rituals.

"I think they do show their sympathy to the people of Sidoarjo suffering from 
the mud," Officer Suryadi says. "But the problem for us is, after every ritual 
they did, the next day or a few days later we always have some leaks in the 
dams."

One year ago on Tuesday a gas exploration well part-owned by Australian mining 
giant Santos blew, sending a geyser of mud and toxic gas into the air. Nearby 
villages and factories were flooded, a major highway and railway were covered 
and later East Java's main gas pipeline ruptured.

Despite all attempts to plug the flow - drilling relief wells and even dropping 
chains of concrete balls into its centre - more and more mud spurts from the 
volcano, about 1 million barrels each day. The rising tide covered thousands 
more homes in March.

It is the region's worst social and ecological mining disaster, according to 
leading Indonesian environmental watchdog, Walhi.

The displaced await compensation, mitigation efforts are farcical and arguments 
continue about who will bear the multibillion-dollar cost.

There is no end in sight. Optimists hope the mudflow could dissipate in 30 
years, but experts suggest it may continue for centuries. Twenty-three 
kilometres of earth dams have been built in an unsuccessful attempt to contain 
the mud, 20 metres deep in parts, and channel it into the nearby Porong River 
then on to the sea.

When The Age visited the site last week just a trickle of ooze dribbled from 
one of eight large pipes above the river. Director of operations of the mud 
disaster team, Sofyan Hadi, admits they are pumping only a fraction of what 
emerges from the volcano because the wrong pumps were installed. "They are used 
for water, not for mud," he said.

The only short-term proposal is bigger, better pumps, with little immediate 
prospect of enacting President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's instructions to 
"kill" the mud flow, according to Mr Hadi.

Experts have raised fears mud sediment could eventually choke the river mouth 
and trigger flooding in Indonesia's second largest city, Surabaya, during 
future rain seasons. "If the volume of water to go through Porong River is 
reduced, then the water will overflow in Surabaya," said Teguh Hariyanto, of 
Surabaya Technical Institute. "If there is an effort to normalise the Porong 
River, we don't have to worry, but what if there isn't?"

He said Surabaya, which lies north of the disaster zone, could face flooding 
within the next two years if nothing was done to reduce the sedimentation.

Arguments over fault and liability for the disaster have spread into Dr 
Yudhoyono's cabinet. Lapindo Brantos, which owns 50 per cent of the well, is a 
family firm of Minister for People's Welfare Aburizal Bakrie. Thirty-two per 
cent of the joint venture is held by another Indonesian company, Medco, with 
the remaining 18 per cent held by Santos.

The Adelaide-based firm has now doubled its provisions for potential 
compensation payments to $A89 million - 18 per cent of predicted "mud 
management" costs - but admits there are no guarantees it will not blow out. It 
states that the provision is a "prudent estimate", but assumes all parties 
agree on long-term liabilities.

Due to the "complexity of the incident and the dynamic nature of the ongoing 
work, there is significant uncertainty surrounding these issues", Santos warned 
in a report to shareholders. It states the final costs could be "significantly 
different".

Under a presidential decree issued last month, Dr Yudhoyono says his Government 
will pay the billions in infrastructure costs arising from the mud flow, 
including relocating transport links. Direct mitigation of the mud flow and 
buying the land and houses it covers would be Lapindo's responsibility - an 
estimated $A540million.

Parliamentarians have threatened to overturn the decree, complaining that all 
costs should be met by the miners. Walhi describes it as a political conspiracy 
to avoid corporate responsibility.

Santos spokesman Chris Bennett says the company admits no liability and is 
aware of the political dynamics. But all requests to aid the mud clean-up 
program had been met "given the magnitude of the social dislocation", he says.

As a minority shareholder, Santos had limited influence, Mr Bennett says, 
urging a greater focus on long-term "mud mitigation to prevent further social, 
economic and infrastructure degradation".

Mr Bakrie has denied the mud volcano was caused by the gas bore - blaming an 
earthquake in Yogyakarta, more than 200 kilometres away, two days earlier - but 
said his company would compensate local victims because of "Indonesian values". 
His claims have been undercut by the third partner, Medco, which stated 
Lapindo's drillers were negligent in not inserting a casing around the gas 
bore, which would have enabled the flow to be plugged after the drill hit a 
huge mud bubble, pressurised by gas underneath.

Medco launched a negligence lawsuit against Lapindo in America, but the case 
will not reach court after a Bakrie company bought out Medco's share of the 
well, and its liabilities, for a token fee last month.

Last year Indonesia's Finance Minister blocked the Bakrie group's attempt to 
on-sell Lapindo to a shelf company offshore, believing it was an attempt to 
evade responsibility for the incident.

Instead, Lapindo has launched a public relations offensive, funding a 
geological seminar and numerous studies. Only geologists who asserted the mud 
volcano was a natural phenomenon, unconnected to the drilling, were invited to 
contribute - if consensus emerges of a natural disaster, it should be a 
government not corporate responsibility, Lapindo argues.

A police investigation has determined that negligence was to blame and 
recommended 13 Lapindo officials face criminal charges. Local prosecutors seem 
reluctant to proceed, sending the brief of evidence back twice for revision.

Head of the Disaster Research Centre at the Surabaya Institute of Technology, 
geologist Amien Widodo, also has no doubts it was the failure to install a 
casing along the drill shaft that caused the disaster. "Because they don't use 
a casing, the mud went wild," he said.

Sidoarjo's catastrophe is "just beginning" and with no known way to halt the 
mud flow it could continue for hundreds of years, he said. The only answer was 
to widen the disaster zone and use the mud to construct a gigantic crater, as 
it would do naturally, Mr Widodo said. From a great height, excess liquid could 
then be channelled into the Porong River.

Most of the more than 43,000 victims await compensation, many in ramshackle, 
open-air refugee camps. Lapindo says it has paid more than $A180 million 
towards the clean-up, evacuation and rent and food relief. But only 185 people 
have been compensated for the loss of their homes. Lapindo says the problem is 
that locals must produce evidence of land ownership and most villagers lack 
official certificates.

With KARUNI ROMPIES, AAP


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke