http://www.thejakartapost.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&irec=3

72 Indonesian workers kept in U.S. Iraq camps 


Abdul Khalik, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Scores of Indonesians working in U.S. military camps in Iraq have been denied 
vacations and kept in the country despite the expiry of their contracts, the 
Foreign Ministry has revealed.

According to data from the ministry, 72 Indonesian migrant workers serving 
17-month contracts as cooks, technicians and cleaners have already been kept in 
the country for over 20 months. 

Foreign Ministry director for protection of Indonesian citizens abroad Teguh 
Wardoyo said Indonesian officials had been denied access to the workers despite 
three month's worth of requests through U.S. Embassies in Jakarta, Iraq, Jordan 
and Syria, as well as the U.S. State Department in Washington. 

On Friday, the Foreign Ministry summoned the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia 
Cameron R. Hume in an attempt to address the issue. Teguh said that Stanley 
Harsya from the embassy's political section represented the ambassador at the 
talks. 

Teguh added that U.S. officials at first denied there were Indonesian workers 
being kept past their contracts in Iraq. 

"But after we showed our data, they said they wanted to help solve the problem. 
In our conversation, we demanded to be given access to our workers and that 
they are given their rights to vacations. U.S. officials have given us their 
commitment that they will work on (the matter)," Teguh said. 

All 72 workers were sent to Iraq by South Jakarta company North Sea Java Group 
on Jan. 2, 2006. The workers' contracts guaranteed them pay of US$3,000 per 
month and two weeks of vacation per year. 

However, Teguh said the workers "have not been allowed to leave the camp since 
then". 

"This is probably because the U.S. military authorities are dependent on our 
workers and are afraid they won't come back," he added. 

According to the Foreign Ministry, 86 workers were initially sent to Iraq, but 
14 have already been allowed to go home. 

One of workers, Steven Latu, reported to the government in June that his fellow 
workers were being denied their rights under their work contracts. 

"We even contacted and asked that U.S. Iraq Policy Coordinator Mark Wilson give 
these workers consular access and solve this problem, but so far we have not 
received any positive results," Teguh said. 

Teguh said U.S. officials had told him the country's response to his complaints 
had been slowed by the ongoing war in Iraq. 

Teguh said he did not have any solid data to indicate if the workers have been 
working illegally in Iraq. However, he said North Java Sea Group was not 
registered with the manpower ministry. 

"That's why I've asked the police to investigate the matter," he said.


printer friendly 


Post Your Comments

Comments could also be sent to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List owner  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke