BBC News Middle East

13 February 2011 Last updated at 13:59 GMT

Egyptian military dissolves parliament

Egypt's new military authorities say they are dissolving parliament and 
suspending the constitution.

In a statement on state TV, the higher military council said it would stay in 
power six months, or until elections.

Meanwhile caretaker Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said his main priority was to 
restore the country's security, after nearly three weeks of protests.

Earlier there were scuffles in Cairo's Tahrir Square as protesters thwarted 
army efforts to remove them.

The military police chief has called for tents to be cleared from the area, the 
focal point of the uprising that led to President Hosni Mubarak's departure on 
Friday.

The BBC's Wyre Davis in Cairo says the situation on the square has become a 
good-natured standoff, but protesters have vowed to stay night after night.

'Fight corruption'

Mr Shafiq said Egyptians had lost a sense of security during the events which 
led to Mr Mubarak's departure.

"Our main concern now as a cabinet is security - we need to bring back a sense 
of security to the Egyptian citizen," he said.

"Parallel to that we also want to ensure that the daily life of all Egyptians 
goes back to normal and that basic needs like bread and healthcare are 
available."

He said that the country had enough reserves to weather the economic crisis but 
that if instability continued there could be "obstacles".

"Our internal economic position is solid and cohesive," he said.

He also pledged to "return rights to the people and fight corruption".

Tempers frayed on Sunday morning as protesters realised hundreds of policeman - 
who had become hugely unpopular for their violent attempts to suppress the 
uprising - had entered the square.

For a few minutes there was a tense stand-off as the two sides confronted each 
other, before the police march peeled away and left the square.

Although there were reports of scuffles between soldiers and die-hard 
protesters in the square on Sunday morning, our correspondent said the 
operation to clear the area had previously been conducted unprovocatively.

A hardcore of several hundred protesters had remained marooned on a traffic 
island in the heart of the square, saying they would not move until a full 
timetable of reform was drawn up.
Gilded wooden statue of Tutankhamun harpooning (photo: Griffith Institute) 
Items stolen from the Egyptian Museum include statues of King Tutankhamun

Throughout the weekend, an army of volunteers and municipal workers has cleared 
away debris from the streets.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that 18 antiquities - including statues of King 
Tutankhamun - have been stolen from the Egyptian Museum during the unrest.

Earlier, Mr Obama welcomed the new military leadership's statement aired on 
state TV on Saturday, which implicitly confirms that the country's 1979 peace 
treaty with Israel will remain intact.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu also welcomed the announcement, saying the treaty 
was a cornerstone of Middle East stability.

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair - and current Middle East envoy - has 
said Mr Mubarak's departure could be a "pivotal moment".

"I think the single most important thing now is to accept that this is a moment 
of huge opportunity, not just for Egypt," Mr Blair told the BBC.

"This is a moment when the Middle East could pivot and face towards change and 
modernisation and democracy and that would be a huge benefit for all of us.

The demonstrations were triggered by widespread unrest over unemployment, 
poverty and corruption.

Meanwhile the authorities banned three senior officials close to Mr Mubarak - 
former Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif, former Interior Minister Habib al-Adli and 
current Information Minister Anas al-Fekky - from foreign travel, saying they 
were under investigation.

Mr Mubarak resigned on Friday after 18 days of protests, being flown to his 
luxury residence in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh having handed power 
to the high command, a body composed of high-ranking generals.




------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke