Police move on protesters in Bahrain, killing at least 3
By the CNN Wire Staff

February 17, 2011 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)

Click to play
Violent crackdown in Bahrain
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

    * Police and military move in during crackdown on protesters
    * Local hospital filled with scenes of chaos
    * At least 3 people are killed when police confront protesters
    * Police fire tear gas and rubber bullets at demonstrators in 

Pearl Roundabout

Are you there? Send us your video and images?

Manama, Bahrain (CNN) -- What had been days of mostly peaceful demonstrations 
changed dramatically in Bahrain early Thursday morning when police swarmed into 
the capital city and forcibly removed protesters from the Pearl Roundabout.

Police came in with dozens of vehicles, surrounded the roundabout and began 
firing "pellet bullets," rubber bullets and tear gas at demonstrators, 
witnesses said.

At least three people were killed early Thursday morning during the incident, 
emergency hospital services said.

Police were able to clear the roundabout of thousands of protesters and hours 
after that, convoys more than 50 military armored personnel carriers each armed 
with machine guns drove into the area. Convoys included trucks carrying razor 
wire.
Gallery: Bahrain protests
Democracy: 'There are no guarantees'
The role of social media in revolutions
Gallery: Nations facing unrest

Authorities pushed protesters out of the roundabout and sent many fleeing into 
the darkness to side streets. But about 8 a.m. -- more than five hours after 
the crackdown started -- the sound of tear gas canisters could be still be 
heard.

An article Thursday in Bahrain's state media quoted an official in the 
country's Ministry of the Interior talking about the crackdown.

"Public security forces carried out this morning the evacuation of the crowd 
and the protesters from Pearl Square after exhausting all opportunities for 
dialogue with them, some of them have responded and left quietly, while others 
refused to comply with the law, which called to intervene in order to disperse 
them," Bahrain News Agency reported.

Bahrain's armed forces also released a statement about the issue.

"The armed forces of Bahrain calls on all citizens to distance themselves from 
gatherings in vital areas in the capital because this will have a negative 
impact on traffic and will create fear and shock in the area, and will result 
in a traffic crisis which will disrupt the daily life of the citizens and 
endanger their personal interest," the statement said.

But the toll of the crackdown was evident at Salamaniya hospital in Manama.

A group of angry people gathered at the hospital, along with distraught family 
members looking for loved ones.

Inside the hospital's emergency treatment room was a scene that neared chaos as 
injured people struggled, some with head traumas, or suffering with bloody 
wounds in the head and chest.

One 15-year-old boy there said he had gunshot wounds to his arm and abdomen. He 
said he was with a group of people sleeping and was surprised by the police 
crackdown.

Police move in on protesters in Bahrain

Egypt's domino effect

Bahrain's king condemns protester deaths

RELATED TOPICS

    * Bahrain

Doctors also complained that they were not allowed by security forces to get 
ambulances to the injured who were still on the ground near the roundabout 
Thursday morning. After complaining to authorities, ambulances were allowed to 
go into the area.

Bahrain is among the latest Arab states to face a surge of dissent following 
the revolts that toppled longtime autocrats in Tunisia and Egypt.

This week, there have been thousands of activists camping at the foot of the 
Pearl Roundabout, a Bahraini landmark. For days, police were nowhere in sight 
as about 3,000 people laid out blankets and pitched tents in protest.

During the crackdown on Thursday, an ABC reporter was attacked while he was on 
the phone, describing the scene for the network. In the midst of his report, 
Miguel Marquez could suddenly be heard shouting on the audiotape, "Journalist! 
Journalist! No! No!" Heavy thuds and the sounds of police yelling could also be 
heard.

After several minutes, Marquez insisted repeatedly "I'm going! I'm going!" and 
called out for co-workers. Finally, he returned to the audio line and told what 
had just happened. His voice broke as he said, "These people are not screwing 
around."

Bahrain is an American ally and houses the headquarters of the U.S. Navy's 
Fifth Fleet. In Washington, the State Department said Tuesday it was "very 
concerned" by the violence and said it welcomed the promise of an investigation.

The U.S. Embassy in Manama put out a statement on the crackdown Thursday.

"We remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful 
can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence," the statement 
said. "Please avoid these areas. If you encounter a large public gathering or 
demonstration, depart the vicinity immediately."

Bahrain is ruled by a Sunni Muslim royal family, but two-thirds of the 
population are Shiites. In recent years, younger Shiites have staged violent 
protests to complain about discrimination, unemployment and corruption, and 
many Shiites say the country's constitution has done little to improve their 
condition.

The protests in Bahrain started Sunday. The protests intensified earlier this 
week after two demonstrators were killed by security forces.

On Wednesday, Bahrain's Interior Ministry had said those involved in two deaths 
during previous protests had been placed in custody.

"We express our regret over those who died or were injured in the latest 
incidents and extend our sincere condolences to their families and to the 
people of Bahrain," according to a statement on the ministry's website.

After that, protesters had largely been left alone by police until the recent 
crackdown.



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke