http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/israel-iranian-warships-suez-canal

Iranian warships turn back from Suez canal
Application to sail into Mediterranean Sea withdrawn after Israel describes 
move as provocation


  a.. Harriet Sherwood in Jerusalem 
  b.. guardian.co.uk, Thursday 17 February 2011 12.38 GMT

 
Ships navigate the northbound lane of the Suez canal. Israel has said Iran is 
sending two warships into the Mediterranean Sea. Photograph: Cris 
Bouroncle/AFP/Getty Images 
Two Iranian warships have withdrawn their application to to sail through the 
Suez canal after Israel described the move as a provocation.

An unnamed canal official told the Associated Press no reason was given for the 
decision.

The official identified the two vessels as a frigate and a supply ship, and 
said they were en route to Syria. He said they were now in an area near the Red 
Sea port city of Jeddah, in Saudi Arabia.

Egypt's official Mena news agency, however, quoted Ahmed al-Manakhly, a senior 
Suez canal official, as denying that the waterway's management had received any 
requests by Iranian warships to sail through the canal.

On Wednesday night, the Israeli foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, told a 
conference of American-Jewish organisations in Jerusalem that the two vessels 
were due to pass through the Suez canal.

"Tonight two Iranian warships are supposed to cross the Suez canal on their way 
to Syria into the Mediterranean Sea which is something that has not happened 
for many years," he said.

"This is a provocation that proves that the self-confidence and impudence of 
the Iranians is growing from day to day ... Regrettably the international 
community shows no willingness to deal with these repeated Iranian 
provocations."

He said the international community needed to understand that Israel could not 
ignore such provocations forever.

Israel suspected the ships were carrying weapons intended for eventual delivery 
to Hezbollah, the Lebanese Islamist organisation and ally of Iran.

Israel's alarm at the presence of Iranian ships in the region comes amid unrest 
sweeping across Arab countries. Israel is deeply concerned about instability in 
neighbouring countries and fears that Islamist organisations are growing in 
influence.

The defence minister, Ehud Barak, said Israel was "attentively monitoring" the 
ships' progress.

Under international law, only ships from countries at war with Egypt are barred 
from passing through the Suez canal. But warships need prior permission from 
Egypt's defence and foreign ministries.

The US state department spokesman PJ Crowley confirmed that Iranian ships were 
in the area of the canal, but declined to comment further. "There are two ships 
in the Red Sea," he said. "What their intention is, what their destination is, 
I can't say."

Last month, Iran's Fars news agency reported that Iranian navy cadets were 
embarking on a year-long training mission in the Mediterranean, passing through 
the the Red Sea and the Suez canal. It said the purpose was to train to defend 
Iranian ships against the threat of Somali pirates.

The Suez canal is the key sea passage between Europe and the Middle East and 
Asia.

Since Hosni Mubarak was ousted as Egypt's president last Friday, Israel has 
been deeply concerned about the future of relations between it and its closest 
ally in the region. Egypt's ruling army council has said the 31-year-old peace 
treaty between the two countries will be maintained, but Israel remains anxious 
about whether a future government which is likely to include the Islamist 
Muslim Brotherhood would review the accord.

Israel's prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has warned that the country must 
"prepare for the worst".

Although Israel hoped to see genuine democratic reform in Egypt, he said, it 
and other countries needed to be alert to "possible dangers that may lie ahead".

At least 1,500 workers from the Suez Canal Authority protested on Thursday in 
three Egyptian cities along the waterway, demanding better pay and working 
conditions. The workers, however, said their protest would not disrupt canal 
traffic.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke