http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article273441.ece

Tunisia: Islamist party condemns slaying of priest
 
Protesters gather outside the French Embassy in Tunis on Saturday to urge the 
recall of Ambassador Boris Boillon for his allegedly "insulting behavior" at 
his introductory press conference, though it is not clear what exactly he said 
or did. (AP)

By BOUAZZA BEN BOUAZZA | AP 

Published: Feb 19, 2011 22:53 Updated: Feb 19, 2011 23:16 

TUNIS, Tunisia: The Tunisian government and a long-banned Islamist party both 
denounced Saturday the grisly slaying of a Roman Catholic priest, while several 
hundred people gathered outside the French Embassy in the capital to demand the 
recall of France's new ambassador.

The 34-year-old priest Marek Marius Rybinski was found on Friday with his 
throat slit and stab wounds in the parking lot of the religious school in the 
Tunis suburb of Manouma.

The slaying of the Polish priest was the first deadly attack on members of 
religious minorities since last month's ouster of Tunisia's longtime autocratic 
president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

The Interior Ministry said the killing appeared to be the work of a "group of 
extremist terrorist fascists," judging by the way it was carried out, and vowed 
that those responsible for the "odious crime" would be severely punished.

The long-outlawed Islamist Ennahdha, or Renaissance, party called on 
authorities to "cast light on the real circumstances of this incident ... 
before making accusations." 

The statement, signed by the party's leader Rached Ghannouchi - who returned to 
Tunisia last month after decades in exile in London - urged "vigilance in order 
to ward off anything that could spark anarchy in our country." In a separate 
statement, the party also distanced itself from a recent anti-Semitic incident 
in front of Tunis' Grand Synagogue, as well as small protests targeting 
bordellos and stores selling alcohol.

Ennahdha was considered a terrorist group and outlawed under Ben Ali, but is 
widely considered moderate by scholars.

At least 2,000 people staged a peaceful demonstration in central Tunis on 
Saturday to denounce extremism and call for tolerance.

Bearing placards with phrases like "I'm Muslim, I'm secular, I am Tunisian" and 
"no to extremism," the demonstrators rallied outside the main Tunis theater.

The call to demonstrate was planned before the anti-Semitic incidents and the 
killing of the priest, and a march on Friday by scores of Islamists demanding 
the closure of a Tunis brothel, said Soufiane Chourabi, a blogger who helped 
promote the anti-extremism rally.

In another protest in the capital, several hundred people gathered Saturday 
outside the French embassy to demand that France recall its new ambassador, 
Boris Boillon.

The protesters denounced what they called Boillon's "insulting behavior" at his 
introductory press conference last week, though it was not clear what exactly 
he said or did to anger them.

Some of the protesters complained that Boillon had a dismissive and arrogant 
tone during Thursday's news conference, while others brandished signs reading 
"Tunisia: respect it or leave it." Boillon arrived in Tunis last week to 
replace the previous French ambassador, Pierre Menat, who was recalled to Paris 
during the uprising after serving just over a year in the post.

Boillon, a 41-year-old Arabic speaker, is a former adviser to conservative 
French President Nicolas Sarkozy and was previously posted in Iraq.

Tunisia was once a French protectorate, and after the North African nation 
secured its independence in 1956, its leaders remained close to French 
authorities.

Some critics have complained that Sarkozy was slow to speak out in favor of the 
protesters during the uprising that sent Ben Ali into exile in Saudi Arabia on 
Jan. 14.

Meanwhile, the state news agency TAP reported that Tunisia's interim president, 
Fouad Mebazaa, signed an amnesty decree, that could see the release of people 
imprisoned under Ben Ali's anti-terrorism laws, laws limiting press freedom and 
laws that restricted public demonstrations.

Ridha Belhaj, an adviser to the prime minister, didn't specify how many people 
could be affected. But lawyer Samir Ben Amor estimated more than 2,500 could be 
freed under the anti-terrorism law alone that he called anti-constitutional.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke