Middle East
Yemen leader 'willing to step down'
Saleh says he will hand over power only "to capable hands" ahead of "day of
departure" protests planned nationwide.
Last Modified: 25 Mar 2011 05:47
President Saleh's speech on Thursday night fuelled the sense of defiance on the
streets of the capital [Al Jazeera]
Yemen's president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, has offered to stand down - but only to
hand over power "to capable, responsible hands," he says.
The longtime leader addressed crowds shown on state TV and said he was ready to
meet with protesters, as tens of thousands gathered in a "day of departure"
rally.
But he also said those demanding his resignation had been influenced by the
Houthis - a powerful armed clan demanding greater autonomy in their region of
the country - and drug dealers.
On Thursday night, opposition groups rejected Saleh's offer to quit after a
presidential election at the end of the year, stepping up efforts to remove him
from power.
Yassin Noman, head of Yemen's opposition coalition, dismissed Saleh's earlier
offer as "empty words" and a spokesman said the umbrella coalition would not
respond.
"No dialogue and no initiatives for this dead regime," opposition spokesman
Mohammed al-Sabry said on Thursday.
Protesters are demanding a new constitution and the dissolution of parliament,
local councils and the notorious state security agencies - as well as the
immediate resignation of President Saleh.
Tensions ratcheted higher ahead of a planned rally that has been dubbed a
"Friday of Departure", as presidential guards loyal to Saleh clashed with army
units backing opposition groups demanding his resignation.
Our special correspondent, reporting from Change Square - where 52 protesters
were killed last Friday - said: "People here are concerned and fear a repeat of
last Friday's violence. There are two or three makeshift medical centres set up
around the square, and people are trying to get as many medical supplies into
them as possible.
Tens of thousands of people entered the square and its surrounding area in
front of Sanaa university, for Friday prayers, ahead of the planned protest.
The mood there was initially positive, our correspondent said.
"In the past seven days, a lot of momentum has gathered behind these
protesters. And if people do make the journey from here to the presidential
palace, that will certainly be a flashpoint - and further violence is likely,"
added our reporter, who we are not naming for security reasons, after Al
Jazeera's office was raided and its staff attacked this week.
Defecting general
General Ali Mohsen has thrown his weight behind the opposition and has sent
troops to protect pro-democracy protesters in Sanaa. He said the options before
Saleh were now few, and criticised what he described as Saleh's "stubbornness",
but said the armed forces were committed to protecting protesters.
The general also said he had no desire to take power, as fears grew of a major
confrontation between rival military units in the capital Sanaa or elsewhere.
He said military rule in Arab countries was outdated and that the people would
decide who would govern them in the framework of a modern, civilian state.
"Ali Mohsen as an individual has served for 55 years and has no desire for any
power or position," he told Reuters.
"I have no more ambition left except to spend the remainder of my life in
tranquility, peace and relaxation far from the problems of politics and the
demands of the job."
Mohsen, commander of the northwest military zone and formerly Saleh's close
ally from the al-Ahmar clan, is the most senior military officer to back the
protests, and his move on Monday triggered a stream of defections in the
military and government.
Amnesty offer
Saleh has offered amnesty to defecting troops, calling their decisions "foolish
acts", taken in reaction to last Friday's deaths.
In his address, Saleh promised to transfer power peacefully, but gave no
indication of the timing or conditions.
"There is no way by any means or circumstance for the political system to offer
itself to the gallows," Saleh said.
"By all means come for political dialogue, and power can be transferred
peacefully through constitutional institutions."
He also vowed to defend himself by "all possible means" against the escalating
campaign seeking to unseat him.
Protesters who have been encamped in their thousands outside Sanaa University
for about six weeks have hardened in their attitude towards Saleh, rejecting
any idea of his remaining.
They hope Friday's protests could bring hundreds of thousands onto the streets.
They said on Thursday they were tired of the drip-feed of concessions.
"This talk is aimed at delaying the announcement of the death of the regime.
The opposition does not need to respond," spokesman Mohammed al-Sabry said.
Washington, which has urged US citizens to leave Yemen, warned those remaining
to stay away from demonstrations on Friday.
Britain said it had drawn up plans for a possible military evacuation of its
citizens who remain in Yemen.
Foreign Secretary William Hague told parliament he had reports that oil
companies were withdrawing their staff, and part of the British embassy staff
was being withdrawn from Sanaa ahead of Friday's protests.
Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies
Email Article
Email Article
Print Article
Print Article
Share article
Share Article
Send Feedback
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
* Ali Abdullah Saleh
* Ali Mohsen
* Mohammed al-Sabry
* William Hague
* Yassin Noman
Country
* Yemen
* Britain
* United States
City
* Sanaa
* Washington
Organisation
* Amnesty
* Sanaa University
Featured on Al Jazeera
The globalisation of revolution
Revolutions are caused by human agency; not telecommunications technologies,
scholar argues.
Spy game: The CIA, Pakistan and 'blood money'
CIA contractor and former Blackwater employee Raymond Davis flees Pakistan
after killing two men.
Cruel and usual: US solitary confinement
As incarceration rates explode in the US, thousands are placed in solitary
confinement, often without cause.
America's Saudi air war
A plan to train Saudi air force pilots in Idaho is turning former allies into
bitter enemies.
Content on this website is for general information purposes only. Your comments
are provided by your own free will and you take sole responsibility for any
direct or indirect liability. You hereby provide us with an irrevocable,
unlimited, and global license for no consideration to use, reuse, delete or
publish comments, in accordance with Community Rules & Guidelines and Terms and
Conditions.
Disqus could not be loaded because it is not being loaded from a trusted domain.
------------------------------------
Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : [email protected]
List owner : [email protected]
Homepage : http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
[email protected]
[email protected]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/