Top Libyan defector set to face Lockerbie questions

London (CNN) -- Top Libyan defector Moussa Koussa looks set to be quizzed over 
the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am airliner over Lockerbie in Scotland, prosecutors 
said Tuesday.

Representatives from Scotland's Crown Office and Dumfries and Galloway Police 
confirmed they met with Foreign Office officials in London Monday to lodge a 
formal request to meet Libya's former foreign minister, who arrived in Britain 
from war-torn Libya last week.

Pan Am Flight 103 was en route to New York from London when it exploded over 
the Scottish town, with the loss of all 259 people on board and 11 residents on 
the ground.

The only person convicted in connection with the bombing, Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed 
al Megrahi, was freed from prison in Scotland in 2009 and sent home to Libya on 
the grounds that he had terminal cancer.

Investigators hope Koussa, who was a senior official in Moammar Gadhafi's 
feared intelligence service in 1988, may be able to shed light on Libya's exact 
role in events like the Lockerbie bombing and the killing of a British 
policewoman outside the Libyan embassy in London in 1984.

Libyan defector has 'secrets to tell'

"Let's remember, Moussa Koussa is the single most important Libyan official who 
was responsible for the intelligence service, the planning and execution of 
(the bombing of) Pan Am 103," said CNN homeland security analyst Fran Townsend.

A statement from Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary -- which has jurisdiction 
over Lockerbie -- described the meeting with Foreign Office officials as "very 
positive" and suggested a meeting with Koussa could take place in the next few 
days.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said Foreign Office officials would 
encourage Koussa to cooperate with investigators, Britain's Press Association 
reported.

He told lawmakers Monday: "We will encourage Moussa Koussa to co-operate fully 
with all requests for interviews with law enforcement and investigation 
authorities in relation both to Lockerbie as well as other issues stemming from 
Libya's past sponsorship of terrorism and to seek legal representation where 
appropriate."

He added: "These investigations are entirely independent of government, they 
should follow the evidence wherever it leads them and the government will 
assist them in any way possible."

Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was a passenger on Flight 103, welcomed 
Koussa's defection and said he wanted to put some of his own questions to him.

"I have three main questions to put to Mr. Koussa," he told Britain's Channel 4 
News Monday.

"One; was he and the Libyan government intimately involved in the atrocity. 
Two; if not, why did Megrahi submit himself for trial. And three; if Libya was 
involved, why was it involved?"

Unlike many other relatives of Lockerbie victims, Swire has expressed his 
doubts about whether al Megrahi was actually responsible for the atrocity.



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke