"I think Bucaillism, as I call it, or ijaz (miracle) obsession as it is known 
in the Arab world.." Repat: ARAB WORLD!!
Ha ha ha ..... Pak @Yusfliak telan saja.

Btw
Ga cerita Teori Darwin lagi Pak?


--- In [email protected], "Jusfiq" <kesayangan.allah@...> wrote:
>
> 
> http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/quran/2008/06/answers_to_questions11.html
> 
> Saya garis bawahi:
> 
> 
> "I think Bucaillism, as I call it, or ijaz (miracle) obsession as it is known 
> in the Arab world, serves as psychotherapy. It confirms the faith of those in 
> desperate need of reassurance, who refuse to accept that faith, by its very 
> nature, requires a leap. It also serves as a substitute for real science. 
> Science is conspicuous in the Muslim world largely by its absence. Bucaillism 
> fills this empty space as emotional fulfilment. It is also a product of the 
> recent emergence of creationism in certain Muslim circles."
> 
> --
> June 05, 2008
> 
> It just so happens I returned this week from a conference in Doha on science, 
> cultures and the future of humanity where the issue of "scientific miracles" 
> in the Qur'an was raised. It was attacked vehemently, Steven.
> 
> The mania goes back to the 1930s and 1940s, I am told. But in its current 
> incarnation, it began with the publication, in 1976, of Maurice Bucaille's 
> book The Bible, The Qur'an and Science. Bucaille was a French surgeon who 
> apparently worked in Saudi Arabia for a time.
> 
> The tendency was given a boost by Keith Moore, who worked at King Abdul Aziz 
> University, where I too worked during the 1970s. Moore wrote a number of 
> articles on embryology in the Qur'an. There have been numerous conferences on 
> the subject. Nowadays, the main star of the field is Harun Yahya, a Turkish 
> creationist, who has produced numerous books on the subject, including 
> Miracles of the Qur'an. It is a huge industry; and Muslims everywhere are 
> taken in by this pestiferous fad.
> 
> I will deal with science and evolution in future blogs. But it will suffice 
> to say here, Steven, that the term "scientific miracles" is an oxymoron. 
> Science has nothing to do with miracles; and miracles are not amenable to 
> scientific investigation. The purpose of science is to solve problems and 
> puzzles and increase our understanding of the universe.
> 
> In science, authority comes - largely - from evidence that has to be socially 
> objective, and its results have to be repeatable and apply to all cultures. 
> Measurement, quantification and experimentation are essential in science. 
> Miracles, by their very nature, cannot be measured or quantified and thus 
> studied objectively. Science does not do ontology; it cannot prove or 
> disprove the existence of God. And the only miracle in the Qur'an is its 
> heightened language and its style. Indeed, in the Qur'an we find that God 
> refuses to do miracles even when the unbelievers demand it as a proof 
> (17:90-96). The Qur'an, as I have repeatedly said, emphasises belief in 
> reason rather than miracles.
> 
> However, the Qur'an does contain some verses that describe nature and the 
> physical world. But to say these are scientific statements is quite absurd. 
> The function of these verses is to inspire people to do science, to study 
> nature and the material world. Which is precisely what they did in the 
> classical period when science and learning in Muslim civilisation reached its 
> zenith. It is worth noting that Muslim scientists in history have never 
> invoked ontology or teleology for their science - they simply saw it as a 
> reliable method for studying nature.
> 
> I think Bucaillism, as I call it, or ijaz (miracle) obsession as it is known 
> in the Arab world, serves as psychotherapy. It confirms the faith of those in 
> desperate need of reassurance, who refuse to accept that faith, by its very 
> nature, requires a leap. It also serves as a substitute for real science. 
> Science is conspicuous in the Muslim world largely by its absence. Bucaillism 
> fills this empty space as emotional fulfilment. It is also a product of the 
> recent emergence of creationism in certain Muslim circles.
> 
> As such, I think it is a dangerous exercise. Way back in 1985, when I used to 
> edit the Muslim magazine Inquiry, I wrote a much quoted article, Science and 
> the Qur'an, warning of these dangers. In it I argue that Bucaillism is not 
> just bad science and bad religion, in fact, it demeans the Qur'an and 
> misrepresents science.
> 
> To answer your question specifically, Steven. No, the "scientific miracles" 
> are not part of mainstream Islamic scholarship. No Muslim scholar or 
> scientist, worth his or her intellectual salt, will touch it with the 
> proverbial bargepole.
> 
> But, unfortunately, the proponents of scientific miracles are not a fringe 
> group - it has a tremendous appeal amongst the populace. In certain parts of 
> the Muslim world, such as Saudi Arabia, and in certain fundamentalist 
> circles, even to criticise this tendency can be seriously hazardous to your 
> health. But in intellectual circles, the alleged scientific miracles of the 
> Qur'an are not only rejected but seen as a dangerously misguided and obsolete 
> discourse.
> 
> Zia adds ...
> 
> I think it is important for me to make it clear that I was in no way 
> referring to any individuals when talking about Bucaillism. My comments were 
> not directed at you, IsraaM or indeed at others on this blog but at those who 
> promote this outlook. Perhaps it is also worth stating here that this blog is 
> about ideas rather than personalities. I believe that everyone should be 
> respected; and endeavour to do so. So, as a general principle, my comments 
> should be taken as critiques of ideas and not as criticisms of individuals.
> 
> Friday June 6, 3.00pm
> 
> Thoughts on Blogging the Qur'an? Email us at blogging.the.quran@... or post a 
> comment below. All comments are moderated in advance but we will try to 
> publish as many as possible.
>




------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke