Middle East
More deaths on Syria's 'day of defiance'
Up to 30 reportedly killed in the cities of Homs and Hama, as protesters around 
the country take to the streets.
Last Modified: 06 May 2011 17:12

Activists claim that up to 30 people have been killed in Syria where thousands 
have taken to the streets for another day of anti-government rallies, dubbed a 
"day of defiance".

Human rights group Insan said that at least 16 people had been killed in the 
central city of Homs, six in Hama and two in Jableh. It said the total death 
toll was 26 but didn't specify where the other two deaths occurred.

A human rights activist told the Associated Press news agency that 30 people 
had died, while Syrian state television said an army officer and four police 
were killed in Homs by a "criminal gang".

Security forces killed four protesters in the city of Deir al-Zor, a local 
tribal leader told Reuters.

Al Jazeera could not independently verify the reports because of restrictions 
on reporting in the country.

Activist Najati Tayara said security forces opened fire to disperse protests 
that broke out after noon prayers in Homs.

"We were chanting 'The people and the army are one' and 'The people want to 
topple the regime'," a witness told Al Jazeera over the phone. "Then security 
and thugs opened fire." 

The sound of continuous gunfire was audible over the phone, as well as people 
shouting "There are snipers on the rooftops".
 

There were also reports that live ammunition had been fired in the Damascus 
suburb of Tel, wounding several protesters.

Reem Haddad, a spokeswoman for the Syrian information ministry, denied in a 
phone interview with Al Jazeera that she had any knowledge that Syrian 
protesters had been killed on Friday.

She said a planned visit by a UN delegation aimed at investigating the 
situation in Syria would be a positive thing for the government.

"The Syrian government is not worried, because there is nothing wrong," Haddad 
said.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday that Syria had agreed to allow 
UN teams to enter the country and check the humanitarian situation there.

UN condemnation

In an emergency session on Friday, the UN's top human rights body voted to 
condemn Syria for using deadly force against protesters and launched an 
investigation into the situation.

Al Jazeera speaks to an exiled Syrian activist about how information is 
reaching the rest of the world

"With today's vote, the Council has stood against attempts to silence dissent 
with the use of gratuitous violence, which is not the act of a responsible 
government," said Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in New York.

The military earlier deployed troops and tanks in flashpoint cities including 
Baniyas, Homs and Rastan and in some Damascus suburbs.

In the Damascus district of Midan, protesters marched chanting "To heaven we 
go, one million martyrs".

The daughter of prominent opposition leader Riad Seif said her father had been 
arrested during the demonstration along with several others.

"Around 1.30pm, someone told me that my father was arrested at the al-Hassan 
mosque," Jumana Seif told Al Jazeera. "A friend told me later that he [Riad] 
had been hit on his head by the security elements."

She said her father had been participating in rallies in Midan every Friday 
since protests there began.

A 64-year-old former MP, Seif had been imprisoned twice since 2001, serving in 
total more than seven years in jail, for seeking reforms and constitutional 
changes in Syria.

'Will never stop'

Huge crowds were rallying in the coastal city of Baniyas, where there was a 
heavy army presence.

"We are here today to say we don't want to die. We don't want to be humiliated 
and we will never stop," a protester told Al Jazeera.

"Killing us and invading us with tanks will never stop us. Our souls will 
ascend to heaven calling for freedom".

"Killing us and invading us with tanks will never stop us. Our souls will 
ascend to heaven calling for freedom"

Protester in Baniyas

In the mainly Kurdish town of Amuda in the northeast, people were chanting "The 
Syrian people are one" and "Freedom, freedom, peaceful, peaceful".

More than 1,000 people have reportedly been arrested in the last week.

The army announced on Thursday that its forces had begun to pull out of Deraa, 
the southern city which has been under military siege since April 25.

General Riad Haddad, the military's political department chief, initially said 
all troops would be out of the city by Thursday night, but on Friday he said 
the withdrawal was gradual.

"Throughout the night, they withdrew ... and this is continuing today," he told 
AFP. He said 600 people had been arrested in Daraa during 11-day operation.

Activists said the city remained under the army's control and was surrounded by 
tanks. Footage emerging from the city showed massive destruction, with shelled 
buildings and burnt cars.

Activists say scores of civilians were killed during the siege and that a 
severe humanitarian crisis had emerged, with shortages of bread, water and gas.

EU sanctions

President Bashar al-Assad is under growing international pressure to end the 
violent crackdown on protesters.

The European Union on Friday agreed to impose sanctions on 14 Syrian officials 
involved in the crackdown, although Assad was not among those immediately 
targeted. But an official said further consideration would be given to the 
inclusion of "the highest level of leadership" in the coming days.

If no member state objects over the weekend, the sanctions will formally be 
approved on Monday and are expected to be made law on May 10.

Aid workers from the Red Cross and Red Crescent delivered their first emergency 
relief supplies to Deraa on Thursday, according to a spokesperson for the 
organisation.

Hicham Hassan said a convoy of two lorries carrying clean drinking water and 
two more with food and first-aid material accompanied a team of 13 experts from 
the Syrian Red Crescent and International Committee of the Red Cross.
Click here for more of our Syria coverage

Rights campaigners say army, security forces and assailants loyal to Assad had 
killed at least 560 civilians during seven weeks of pro-democracy 
demonstrations.

The authorities blame "armed terrorist groups" for the violence, including the 
killings of civilians and members of the security forces. Assad says protests 
are part of a foreign conspiracy to cause sectarian strife.

Dorothy Parvaz, an Al Jazeera journalist, has been detained since she flew in 
to Damascus one week ago. The network and her family are calling for her 
immediate release.
Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies




------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke