Africa
Russia agrees to mediate Gaddafi exit

Moscow changes tack at the G8 meeting in France, saying Gaddafi has 'forfeited 
legitimacy' to rule Libya.

Last Modified: 27 May 2011 13:27

The 'Arab Spring', particularly the unrest in Libya and Syria, figured high in 
the G8 summit [Reuters]

As the Group of Eight [G8] meeting in France comes to an end, Russia has agreed 
to mediate Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's exit.

Hours after G8 leaders asked Russia to take a mediation role in Libya on 
Friday, Sergei Ryabkov, the Russian deputy foreign minister, told reporters 
that "Gaddafi has forfeited legitimacy" and that Russia is ready "to help him 
go".

Soon after, Mikhail Margelov, Moscow's special representative on Africa told 
reporters that his country is ready to negotiate Gaddafi's departure.

Margelov explained that Russia is in contact with Gaddafi's entourage, and that 
they are willing to negotiate Libyan leader's fate.

"We shouldn't talk to Gaddafi himself but with members of his cabinet, possibly 
with his sons. And we are making such contacts, so there is a hope for a 
political resolution," Margelov told reporters at the G8 summit in northern 
France.

When asked to specify who Russia's main partner would be in such talks, he 
said, "Can you imagine, if I give you this person's name and his head were to 
be cut off the next day? But yes, we do have people in Gaddafi's camp."

Russia has been critical of the NATO-led bombing campaign, but after months of 
violent and bloody clashes, has agreed that Gaddafi should step aside.

Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, has thanked his Russian counterpart 
Dmitry Medvedev for helping efforts to resolve the conflict in Libya.

Earlier in the day, Barack Obama, the US president, said at a G8 press 
conference that following the UN mandate should be the policy toward Libya.

"We agreed that we have made progress on our Libya campaign, but that meeting 
the UN mandate of civilian protection cannot be accomplished when Gaddafi 
remains in Libya, directing his forces... and we are joined in [our] resolve to 
finish the job," he said.

Fresh fighting in Misurata

Meanwhile, Rebels and forces loyal to Gaddafi engaged in fierce fighting on the 
Western outskirts of the city of Misurata on Friday, a Reuters news agency 
reported.

A medical worker on the rebel side said that six fighters had been wounded in 
the fighting, two of them critically.

"We are being attacked from all sides with rockets, RPGs (rocket-propelled 
grenades) and mortars," Faraj al-Mistiri, a rebel fighter, said.

"It started between 5:30am and 6:00am local time (0330-0400GMT). They have 
advanced. It's normal to and fro. They are trying their hardest to get back 
into Misurata," he said.

Misurata, Libya's third-largest city, is the biggest rebel stronghold in the 
west of the country and has been the scene of some of the fiercest fighting in 
Libya's three-month-old conflict.

The government forces have also launched rocket attacks overnight in the 
rebel-held town of Zintan.

In a fresh jolt to the Gaddafi regime, Libyan central bank governor has told 
Arabiya TV that he is abandoning Gaddafi to join rebels.

Meanwhile, NATO continued with its fourth night of airstrikes on Tripoli, 
leaving smoke rising from Gaddafi's compound where five loud blasts were heard 
in the vicinity.

Several large explosions rocked the capital late on Thursday night and a column 
of smoke was seen rising from Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziyah base.

Gaddafi 'paranoid'

Citing British intelligence reports, a European diplomatic source said on 
Friday that Gaddafi has become increasingly "paranoid" about NATO air strikes, 
and for safety has been hiding in hospitals.

"One quite striking thing is the fact that Gaddafi appears to be moving from 
hospital to hospital, spending each night in a different one, and his motive 
appears quite clear," the source said.

"He is moving from one place that we won't bomb to another place that we won't 
bomb."

Also on Friday, Britain deployed Apache helicopters to Libya, marking a shift 
in tactical approach toward ending Gaddafi's regime.

According to British junior defence minister Nick Harvey, the helicopters which 
are on their way to the embattled country would offer "a weapon with a greater 
degree of precision, which is better able to hit targets, including moving 
ones, and with a lower risk of collateral damage."

But Labour defence spokesman Jim Murphy warned that the Apaches would "put 
British service personnel in greater danger", as they fly lower and are more 
vulnerable to surface-to-air missiles and potentially smaller weapons than they 
had been with higher-flying vehicles.

The commander of NATO's operation for the North African country said on Friday 
that French and British helicopters will be put into action in Libya under NATO 
command as soon as they are ready.

"These helicopters will be operated under the Unified Protector mandate... they 
will be brought into action as soon as they are ready," Lieutenant General 
Charles Bouchard told a briefing.
Source:
Agencies



------------------------------------

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe   :  [email protected]
Unsubscribe :  [email protected]
List owner  :  [email protected]
Homepage    :  http://proletar.8m.com/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proletar/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kirim email ke